Author Topic: The Hydlaa Guard  (Read 1269 times)

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
The Hydlaa Guard
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:53:31 pm »
I have a few wishes for the Hydlaa Guards:

1) More diversity: if Hydlaa is a diverse city, why are there 6 male Ylian guards?  Some intriguing and different guard-characters could be cooked up...:)
2) Missing people:  Right now, does anyone know who the captain of the guard is or where he/she hangs out?  The same holds true for the guard squadron's resident mage or mages...
3) In the near future (once moving NPCs work properly), rotating guards would be really nice to have.  Right now, I'm amazed that the guards aren't all snoring loudly!
4) More illumination on guard training: I'd expect the guards to have daily weapons training, combat conditioning, and drill.  How about adding combat situation training (akin to the "Killing Houses" used by modern Special Operations groups) training to that list?  It'd make the guards much more effective...:)
5) More details in the guards' descriptions: Wouldn't you honestly expect the guards to carry more than just one or two blades?  If I was to create a guard character, he or she'd have a crossbow, two or three swords and/or axes, perhaps a staff or spear, and several daggers.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hydlaa Guard
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »
5) More details in the guards' descriptions: Wouldn't you honestly expect the guards to carry more than just one or two blades?  If I was to create a guard character, he or she'd have a crossbow, two or three swords and/or axes, perhaps a staff or spear, and several daggers.

Actually, that would weigh a guard down too much, especially if they had to chase a crook. Most guards just had a simple sword and spear, or just the latter.

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:06:50 pm »
Interesting point Anarkia, although my guard would still carry the crossbow and a couple of daggers in addition to a sword or spear...also, wouldn't the guards train in full battle dress anyhow?

Velh Krome

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:52 pm »
Isnt Jefecra the Captain of the Hydlaa Guard? Thought something alike was mentioned in a quest.

2-3 swords, a crossbow on his back and several knives on his belt? Perhaps also plate armor? Wouldnt that be a bit too .. much? I mean, he also should be able to chase a thief for instance.
About the rest.. hm, what is it you are wishing exactly? As soon as the devs sorted out the automatic movement there most probably will be guards patroulling.
"combat situation training"? What do you mean? Having a room where NPCs (guards) duel each other to visualize "combat training"?

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:53:53 pm »
Isnt Jefecra the Captain of the Hydlaa Guard? Thought something alike was mentioned in a quest.
Never heard it, but you might be right.
2-3 swords, a crossbow on his back and several knives on his belt? Perhaps also plate armor? Wouldnt that be a bit too .. much? I mean, he also should be able to chase a thief for instance.
I got a little excessive there, but you get the point.  You ought to have something besides just a sword, spear, or crossbow.
About the rest.. hm, what is it you are wishing exactly? As soon as the devs sorted out the automatic movement there most probably will be guards patroulling.
"combat situation training"? What do you mean? Having a room where NPCs (guards) duel each other to visualize "combat training"?
The idea of combat situation training IRL comes from the British SAS with their Killing House.  It is a house-like building that has rooms set up with metal hostile targets and/or live hostages in addition to furniture and other indoor obstacles in order to mimic real-world scenarios.  This sort of training would be a daily routine; however, it is generally considered to be quite effective when done properly.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:29:39 am »
Jefecra is the captain of the Guard and he hangs out near Kada-el's.

There are Guard Towers spread across Hydlaa city, they are mostlikely manned with (cross)bow wielding guards.

I agree with the fully bunked out warriors, carrying half an armory with them. That is fine for times of war but wouldn't do well in an urban setting where the biggest job they'd have to do is chase down a criminal. Of course we all know that most criminals in Yliakum don't run from guards and just walk by them taunting them endlessly. :P One blunt weapon (for those non-lethal brawls), one sword, one shield and a spear sounds like a good equipment. Light to medium armor to allow them to give chase .. as for ranged troops. Replace shield and spear with bow or crossbow and you're fixed.

I'd also like to see some mounted guards in the future.

Anyways, forget about the Hydlaa Guard .. the Imperial Guard has this all and is much better! :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Zhaxor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:12 am »
It always seems to me that there should be guards and, guards. A sentry isn't just a guard, he is a watchout, like a gate guard would never leave his post on pain of severe punishment. You might taunt the gate guard or sentry if you were stupid, but he would never chase you, he would at the most blow a whistle that would summon the regular town guard, and they would chase you for him. Town guards would be lightly equiped, a short sword and maybe a stick for non-lethal jobs, like clearing the tavern of drunks, and wear light leather armour, the gate guards may be more heavily equiped, spears or broadswords and chain, maybe a shield. For serious problems there would always be a troop dressed ready for trouble in the barracks with the full kit, plate, halberds etc.

So there should be a variety of guards differently for a variety of jobs.

thorgrin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
Maybe In the future  :beta: we may have a Castle/Fortress In Hydlaa -I think the hill would be good location- used by the Guards as base, than can be connected with the guard towers around Hydlaa, and only access from Winch area. I read in an older post http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27714.0 that Hydlaa does not have a certain "Capital Building", well maybe if equipping the fort/castle for an Octarch meeting as said there...
But I'm sure Developers have plenty things to do right now rather than build forts or castles... :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:31:44 am by thorgrin »
"If the mine is mine, it should only be mined by my miners. If my mine is mined by miners that aren't mine, my mine is no longer mine."

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »
I think if we are going to do anything with guards we must first make a few randomly placed combat able ones.  These would be insanely strong so, while you possible could kill one, you would not be able to camp it without a large group.  Now realistically, this would summon more guards but for right now by having at least one fight able guard could help.  I do like what was mentioned about gate guards not moving.  If we hold this true then guards can fight but people won't be able to kill of the training guards (who are luckily all by a gate excluding Jefecra)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 04:15:02 am »
Maybe In the future  :beta: we may have a Castle/Fortress In Hydlaa -I think the hill would be good location- used by the Guards as base, than can be connected with the guard towers around Hydlaa, and only access from Winch area. I read in an older post http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27714.0 that Hydlaa does not have a certain "Capital Building", well maybe if equipping the fort/castle for an Octarch meeting as said there...
But I'm sure Developers have plenty things to do right now rather than build forts or castles... :)

The Hydlaa Guard already has barracks, just left of the North Gate in Hydlaa ... they're connected to all the guard towers with tunnels if I'm not mistaken.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:04:51 pm »
   Despite it already being in-game a government building would be a good addition since it would specify an area were people could RP government related issues from.  However it would probably only appear as a fortress for decorative purposes.  I wouldn't see a need for castle-like security.  Some security yes, but it all depends on the Devs vision of the game.

Quq Leque

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.thewarriorsguild.nl
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:53:27 am »
Kaerli, have you ever asked an NPC 'who are you?'? I highly recommend it, it adds a whole other dimension to the characters, whereas the text discription are often short. (especially folks like that peasant guard Bevon Damerr)

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:49:52 pm »
Kaerli, have you ever asked an NPC 'who are you?'? I highly recommend it, it adds a whole other dimension to the characters, whereas the text discription are often short. (especially folks like that peasant guard Bevon Damerr)
Good idea.

Ichaas

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 02:55:05 am »

.... Do you know how much a breastplate weighs? Try adding a claymore to that, how much more does it weigh? More than enough for a full grown male.
at most you'd wan't a dagger, and if one guard is some sort of a behemoth, a short sword.
Carrying aces, spears, and three aditional sowrds is like...  the guard can't moe. hell, he can't even stand. if some thing attack the city, he's there an hour late cause he's dragging all that gear behind him.

I would however love to see some diversity and mages yes.

Garile

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Some people forget it's a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 06:26:46 am »
I suppose it all depends on what duty is supreme in the Hydlaa guard. If it is lawenforcement then it would be rather strange for them to be carrying several weapons. You don't round up a barfight with swords or axes so why would they give those to the guard? Ofcourse they would have an armory with them, but I wouldn't expect them to carry them unless they are stationed at the gate and are expected to have to fight for real.

Lawenforcement and the military are useally seperated afterall.
Join the oldest cause.
Characters: Meriner(dead), Garile(dead), Yayelle, Ruicho, Almada