Author Topic: Made a forum userstyle  (Read 11981 times)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Made a forum userstyle
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:32:19 am »
It's really increadible what you can do with css, far more than basing on classes and ids only.

Thx to this i started a userstyle based on the default Karyuu's skin.

Use only over default skin template
This style was done under Firefox 2.0, browser which to my knowledge reads css best. (though 3.0, which i don't use yet read it even better).
You can try this userstyle with Opera or oher browsers, which support userstyles too.

For firefox, instal the "stylish" add-on and paste this into new blank style window:

In this version position:fixed is absolute instead and the body background will no longer be visible when you scroll down. (by this you avoid scrolling glith)
Use this version   (old version) with position:fixed if you don't care about glithes.
Code: [Select]
{ I moved the code to the files linked above. }No screenshots, as you will know far better what you comment, when you viev it by yourself. Though feel free to make screenhots to describe your comments better.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:13:16 pm by Nikodemus »

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Velh Krome

Re: Made a forum userstyle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:16:33 am »
Nice idea, Nikodemus,
I definitely love the greenish background-image!

What appears twisted and buggy is the frame being shifted to the left by the buttons-box on the right:

The bugginess is more clear when you have a look at my reply-window:

I for one wouldnt mind to just have that button-box down on the page again, the page-indicator on the left side though is a fancy thing that I dont want to miss!

I am using Iceweasel (Firefox) 2.0.0.11 / Debian Sid

chaotician

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:38:58 pm »
I have to say that is a really nice looking style

Velh Krome

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 05:16:45 pm »
On my trial to find a compromise I deleted everything except for that background-image.
Nikodemus, mind to tell me how can I add the page-index to the left side? =P

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:05:57 pm »
What appears twisted and buggy is the frame being shifted to the left by the buttons-box on the right:
I see nothing wrong about that ;P
The bugginess is more clear when you have a look at my reply-window:
Coz the style not finished, but it will remain shifted.

Button-box and page indicator are as they are coz of position:fixed. While button box is right aligned with "right" property and page indicator is layed out by negative margin values.

Thank you for support!
P.S. code is art too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:08:59 pm by Nikodemus »

Velh Krome

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
Dont get me wrong, I tried for some time to fix the width of it=P And I am aware of it could only affect me (or at least not you), but I wouldnt have given these (obviously rather humble) efforts if I wouldnt love that theme!

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 06:54:11 pm »
No, you see everything as me (well except the key stats box, where bottom line everlays the border, but it is your browser bug as far as i can say, which comes out probably because your linux font is wider than windows verdana.
I will probably make a walkaround fix for that, thout it isn't happening coz of my style.

I also mean't that the frame is shifted on purpose ;P

Velh Krome

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
lol alright, good chance its just my fault o/
I manually adjusted the font-size in my firefox - I didnt know the frames would dynamically adjust to font-size as well.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:26 pm »
Hey everyone interested. I have updated the code in first post and will continue doing so till i finish.

There are some fixes, new changes and some new elements, which don't look right anyore ;P It will look better in the future, though.

I have forgotten to give some credits to Karyuu, for the great PS main site. I have started the style basing on its colors, images and the forum style, which she has been working on in the past.

I have a reguest.
I could now start making all the little images all around like , or , etc.
I'm not sure if there is as big rush as in the fan art (i think i have posted there in the start and someone moved it ::| ) But hopefully someone care about this. In the end if Acraig or any other forum admin want, this style can be put on the server.

These images can be any shape, really any shape, but when you think about it, think where you would like to see them - almost any place. Be creative, but think about ergonomy and the overal layout of the forum and as I edited it. Use .png with transparency, 16mln colors.
Probably why i wanted this project to be fan art first, but if people look there, it will be ok too i gues.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:30:39 pm by Nikodemus »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:29 pm »
So, there are only two interested people?

If you use it, comment on it. I won't continue doing it alone if only 2 people tried it and maybe won't even use its most part.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »
Perhaps you could post some screenies for those who don't know how to install the style. That way you might get more comments. From what I have seen, it looks real nice. I hope you keep working on it.

Velh Krome

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 01:55:52 pm »
I am currently on my Windows, hence not sure if it will be the same in my standard linux environment.
Some comments given as I look at the Firefox here:

The main-page "hydlaa.com" has white text on bright-gray background. Original black text looks better.
hte contrast of the green background to the brown ornament around the Planeshift topic is neat.

Hm, maybe I am wrong, but did you get rid of the underline of links, instead of added a little ps-like arrow to its left? however, without all the underlined text it has an overall more clean, tidied and professional look, the mouse-over arrows are a nice addition.

Okay, the threads now.. to me still the frames of single posts are still a bit shifted to the left (screenshots up there). That Firefox I am using at the moment is an unmodified install out of the box (screen res 1400x900), so it cant be a problem of my modified fint sizes.
I have to admit, now that I know that button-box on the right side, I could think of it as a useful mod, since theres no scrolling required for replying, marking to get notified etc.

I can only say, without the shifted posts, which provides a little unordered look (could show as "separating posts" as well), I would switch to the whole theme without hesitating!
Good work Nikodemus, and people, get moving and give it a try! \\o//

PS: Is there a way Opera, Safari or even msie users could use it too?

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 05:12:01 pm »
Dajoji, I'm not sure, did you make it to work or did you try?

I gave instructions, in the first post. Short one sentence, but it is what stylish is like. Plain simple.
On which part did you stop? If you did.

Velh provided two screenshots.

Velh, check the domain of the style. That's basically why. If anyone find how to change it, write. Yeah, hydlaa.com stylesheet isn't supposed to be changed at all, but unfortunately it is.

Yes, added the arrow, because i never liked underlining.

The posts tables are shifted, I wrote it is on purpose. I don't agree the page looks worse because of that, it has more order than without it and also because it helps separating posts.
You do really like the original Karyuus theme more than mine, only because the posts tables are shifted?

I wrote about Opera and other browsers in the first post. Netscape support userscripts AFAIK so my gues is it supports  userstyles too.

Finally, did you just write :-\ msie ?  Ask them. Not my business what this 5 years old browser can and i mean the 7th version.

Velh Krome

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:19:23 pm »
Alright, I used it now for quite a while and in fact I am getting used to it. The shifty thingie indeed does well for separating posts, most if they arent by signatures.

Yep, I guess its due to the main-page is included in the whole domain thing. Was just wondering if its possible to relate the style to subdomains, defined by a wildcard? However, that page I dont look at ever anyway, I just noticed because my bookmark in Windows is another one like here in linux.

And nope, I originally actually liked your entire style more than the default one, except for the shiftings, which may need some time to get used to.

I still have a little point though:
When I hover / mouse-over over any link in the signature area like a linked image, the whole image gets underlined, thus everything following up moves down a bit (few pixels). Is there a way to fix that?
I dont want to bother you, so I had a look at that code a bit, initially for the shiftings (yes, once again =P), but I wasnt really able to provide much help with it=/

But keep it up, Nikodemus, sooner or later other people will notice the neater look of it=)

EDIT:
lol I added msie only for the sake of completeness, but I seriously hope no one will use it anyway;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:22:55 pm by Velh Krome »

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
I really love pretty much everything about this modification with one small exception.  For some reason the rendering of the site is significantly slower.  In fact scrolling is all jerky and weird.  This computer of mine is a real beast with alot of HP so I wonder if its something on my end (some other extension maybe) or something with the mod.  Any ideas?  Great work by the way, this is a fantastic improvement.  I'll keep it on for sure.