Author Topic: Hey guys, we all need to be nice here  (Read 3346 times)

Velh Krome

Re: Hey guys, we all need to be nice here
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:11 pm »
because this is the internet
I use(d) to roam in other forums and ircs, and I just cant second that. Of course this is just nothing but a question of what forums and communities to visit, but saying this is the internet, so roughen up because rudeness, immaturity or reckless people have to be found is put plainly not true.
But still what you say is actually pretty interesting: I for one dont participate these forums very actively since in my eyes it lacks the spirit of a real community. In many cases people apparently simply need to profile and show up, most of the time with rather doubtful arguments.
I dont intent to change anything about it, as I want to play the game and use its communication methods which is great fun per se.

What is a sure thing though is, that the very majority in these forums are very cooperative, kind and helpful. So just keep it up!

EDIT:
Looking at the thread's topic again .. seems like it proves itsself lol No one will ever agree with everyone, so why must some people trying to argue or cause a hostile atmosphere by maybe unreasoned constant opposing or simply arrogant arguments? Guys really, make your mind up and accept and tolerate others opinions for a change...

Leama

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
Good job Velh, actually a great job. Your words are perfect! A lesson to be learned. We should read it and again re-read it.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

neko kyouran

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 04:05:01 pm »
The past is there to be used as examples and to be reflected upon for when taking actions in the present that will reflect outcomes in the future.

If you do not wish me to make remarks on past events, then perhaps we should have acraig change the forum rules to have it auto purge everything older than 6 months on a nightly basis.  Then there will be no using the past as examples.  :)

I've never had an issue with Keirn.  At least, I don't recall ever having an issue with them.  I actually respect their opinions just as much as everyone else that has shown that they are willing to put time and effort towards this project. 

In the past, people like ct and Link and co., made this place, very ... interesting, for lack of a better word.  That isn't to say that over the years, there hasn't been any more bad apples pop up, but since a well staffed team of moderators and admins came on the scene, things have improved around here.

It's simply my personal opinion that the state of the community that uses these forums now, is more open to differing opinions from other users, and more welcoming to others' ideas on subjects than what has been in the past.  So to say, there are less bad apples now.  :)

Which ties into my point that being nice is not necessarily a requirement, but tolerating the other forum users is.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 04:08:44 pm »
One thing is to post your points of view with sense of humor or without taking it too seriously, and that's the better way since, after all, this is just a game. But whether you admit it or not, what you post is a reflection of your character. It tells about your maturity level, it tells about your intelligence and your ability to listen to other arguments, etc.

Only a few sections of these forums are meant for IC entries. Posting somewhere else means that what you say comes from you, the person behind the character and it is read that way. So it's up to you to put yourself out there the way you are, but if you feel the need to hide behind a username to post opinions you wouldn't dare utter in person, then forum issues should be the least of your problems.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 04:16:09 pm »
Raa I have a suggestion, try to be kind. Remember there is a real person behind both the character in game and the one typing here in the forums. As for your statement ‘lighten up’ I suggest you take it a little more seriously because people do have feelings. Besides that I think it is better to be ‘nice’ then not. 

* Leama smiles

I must say I think Under the moon does sound angry. I am surprised.

This is a perfect example of what I was saying.  :P

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 04:21:13 pm »
Which ties into my point that being nice is not necessarily a requirement, but tolerating the other forum users is.

That's what I meant as well. Tolerating and being nice are different things. It's silly to think we can have a forum where everyone gets along and walks hand in hand as it is silly to consider that everyone is free to speak their mind just as they wish and cause a ruckus simply because this is the internet.

All in all, this topic is pretty futile. We are discussing personal points of view (about needing to be nice here) instead of objective means to make the forum more stable. This is either because no one can come up with good content to help improve the community/forums or because we have reached the peak of improvement.

Maybe the best way is to warn people, whenever necessary, that they are being too sensitive or too rough. This would certainly reach more people than this thread.

One thing is to post your points of view with sense of humor or without taking it too seriously, and that's the better way since, after all, this is just a game. But whether you admit it or not, what you post is a reflection of your character. It tells about your maturity level, it tells about your intelligence and your ability to listen to other arguments, etc.

Only a few sections of these forums are meant for IC entries. Posting somewhere else means that what you say comes from you, the person behind the character and it is read that way. So it's up to you to put yourself out there the way you are, but if you feel the need to hide behind a username to post opinions you wouldn't dare utter in person, then forum issues should be the least of your problems.
In the OOC sections you shouldn't think about "keeping it real" but instead about giving good contribute to the conversation, whether you're a wimp behind a username or not. This is a game in project.
Not everyone should be forced to be funny, mature or intelligent. This would make the forums, and life generally, a major boredom. Then again, that's just what I think and therefore completely irrelevant here. <.<
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Waterman

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 06:28:55 pm »
All right, I'll drop this.  I just wanted another viewpoint on the topic of 2002 known, by someone who was actually there.  Just so that neko's word isn't taken as the authority on the issue.  Both the present and the past had benefits and negatives to them.  But I can say for a fact that there were some great people back then around here.

Hmm. Tuxide, we may have to revise the topic to "Don't be an ass" since "Be nice" is beyond the capacity for some here.

About the forum in the past? Don't care. Don't care if it was filled by Mother Theresas or Genghis Khans. Simply does not matter. Should not have been brought up, should not have been blown up into a hissy fit. Way to go in turning a relatively positive feeling 'tongue in cheek' thread into a negative quagmire. I am disappointed in of both of you.

Neko, please avoid comparing things now to things in the past. That hardly ever turns out good. And as said, it does not matter.

Waterman, I suggest you edit your sig to say, "Not coming back until I have a better attitude."

Wow, ok.  I'm not sure it's possible to be so arrogant and be wrong, so your wish is my command.

EDIT: For the record....You answered "yes" to 14 of 100 questions, making you 86.0% nice and pure; that is, you are 86.0% pure in the niceness domain
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:23:11 pm by Waterman »
"Not coming back until I have a better attitude."

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 07:39:51 pm »
You answered "yes" to 23 of 100 questions, making you 77.0% nice pure (23.0% nice corrupt);   ::|

lies i say lies!

Anumesa

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »
You answered "yes" to 53 of 100 questions, making you 47.0% nice pure (53.0% nice corrupt); that is, you are 47.0% pure in the niceness domain.
 :whistling:

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 08:23:22 pm »
You answered "yes" to 7 of 100 questions, making you 93.0% nice pure (7.0% nice corrupt); that is, you are 93.0% pure in the niceness domain.
According to the scoring guide, your niceness experience level is: Nice... Ok, you are probably really nice, or a liar, if you scored this high. If you are really this nice, then you rule. Good job. If you lied on the questions, then go take the test again. That's really stupid. But anyway, this is just an indicator, so take from it what you will. =)

wow....I thought I was nice, but not that nice!

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »
I am sorry but I have to post my thoughts on these quotes ....

Quote from: Raa
But sometimes you overly-sensitive people take things way too seriously, even just a simple joke.

Annnnnnnd sometimes you rough skinned posters take things to much like a joke. Seriously. You can't just shrug your shoulders and claim the best answer is to toughen up. Otherwise we would all be the same and life would be boring. Besides I find most of the time the posters who claim to be hard and tough skinned actually aren't in RL and just hide behind that whole attitude.

Quote from: Raa
Even if you're sensitive, it shouldn't matter, because this is the internet and yadda-yadda. So, yeah, everyone just needs to lighten up and stop taking everything so sensitively.

How would you like it if I told you you need to be more sensitive because I say so? That is basically what your saying only opposite. Come on Raa, ya this is the internet but people still feel. Some are just better at not letting things get to them than others. This being the internet shouldn't be an excuse to not pay attention to other peoples feelings or minding your manners when posting. Especially if you know the person is sensitive. If you have any respect for that poster or even yourself you will not go out of your way to be an ass. Rather you will take time to word your posts in such a way that you know can't be taken in the wrong way.

@everyone: As they say "it take two to fight." So if one poster is being to sensitive then maybe the other poster can be a little more considerate of that. As well as the other way around. Then maybe the mods can relax a little and we won't have so many rules being enforced when it comes to these forums.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Leama

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2008, 09:43:21 pm »
Raa in some ways we are like a big family. I wonder why you cannot just be part of it and be nice like everyone else. Truly I think you do not fit in. As far I am concerned your picking on Zorbels who I am so happy has returned to our family is just pitiful. Have you considered that your behavior could make people leave the game?  We do not want that. I for one want our family to stay together.

Zorbels you do well on your own and do not need me to defend you but I felt I had to say something.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:47:13 pm by Leama »
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 09:45:55 pm »
No, because I'm just that terrible of a person. Since when did you get the idea I want to be in your silly family?

X-/

neko kyouran

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 09:48:47 pm »
If you do not wish to tolerate the opinions of others and give them respect, then I can show you the door in which you entered these forums and kindly ask you to leave.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
This doesn't have to get so personal, Neko. I'm barely the cause of this problem. And since when did you tolerate the opinions of others? Don't get angry because I hate Naruto... But that's completely off topic. Just get back to the previous discussion and forget I was here.