Author Topic: Serious mining issues  (Read 2848 times)

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Serious mining issues
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »
Since when did it takes more brains to swing a pick than muscle. Metal stamina should not even be needed for physical activities and if not, just a little would be used. Only physical stamina is needed. I've swung my share of picks in the real world as well as PS. I've never gotten bored swinging a pick or have actually just swung my pick and let my thoughts wander; but seriously. It should take at least a majority physical stamina rather than 35 mental stamina and only like 20 physical stamina. It should be more like 40 physical stamina and 5 or less mental stamina. Mental stuff is for mental things like spells, crafting, and brain stuff. Physical stamina should be for just physical stuff like mining, running, and fighting. A little mental stamina will be used in physical activities and a little physical stamina will be used in mental activities. That is understandable, but more mental stamina for a no-brainer activity. Come on. :@#\
You will only receive as much respect and integrity and you show to others...

It takes 11 muscles to frown and 4 to slap that motherf@#$er across the face :D

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Serious mining issues
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:09:47 pm »
Hmm, this is interesting because with my character, I always run out of fatigue before mental stamina. I don't think I have managed to run out mental stamina before, in fact.

As I understand it, your physical stamina is based on strength and endurance, and your mental stamina on your will and intelligence.

So your problem is that your either your characters mental capacities are somewhat limited, or your physical capabilities are so massive your characters mind can't keep up :P

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:50:39 pm »
My character has 80 agi, 70 int, and 75 endurance. and the rest are at 50. so it shouldn't have been that much of a difference but it about a 105pt gap.

TDB

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:50:49 pm »
My character has 80 agi, 70 int, and 75 endurance. and the rest are at 50. so it shouldn't have been that much of a difference but it about a 105pt gap.
AGI and END are both phisical stats, INT is a mental stat. It makes sense that your physical abilities would be better than your mental abilities. Stats can also be weighted when calculating your abilities, for instance http://www.planeshift.it/guide/en/guide-stats.html says that endurance is weighted more heavily than the other physical stats when determining hitpoints.

Find trainers for each stat, and watch HP/mana/stamina carefully while training.

Also, find trainers. Especially for the stats you have at 50. It's hard to explore interesting places when the monsters can kill you by just looking at you funny.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:20:18 pm »
Maybe you ain't smart enough to pace yerself.

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:34:32 am »
Since when did it takes more brains to swing a pick than muscle. Metal stamina should not even be needed for physical activities and if not, just a little would be used. Only physical stamina is needed.

You are not just digging a hole with that pick. Otherwise the training wouldn't be so expensive either. If you have observed the animation of your char while mining, you must have noticed that he/she is digging first and then poses for a while before you get the results, positive or negative. That means you need to search the soil you have digged and decide what there is the mineral you are looking for and what is not. Keyword SIEVE. You need your mental stamina for this and can't just "let your thoughts wander".

You already have a 35 points gap between your mental and your physical stats, so a 105 points gap between your mental and physical stamina is not unexpected.

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:42:26 pm »
But still... yes i can see the endurance bit but a (80 agility 75 endurance 50 strength) (50 will 50 charisma 70 intelligence) 170 to 205. even if endurance weighed more than the rest. 105pt gap? Anyway the point i was trying to make is that minimal use of mental stamina should be used when doing physical activities.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:50:07 pm »
Hmm. How many in game hours does it take for mining to drain your mental stamina?

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »
I agree with the idea that mining should be less mentally exhaustive. I lose about 30 points of mental stamina each time I dig and mostly no physical stamina. Mental is obviously the dominant stat. If you want it to so perhaps mining could be made a two stage process. You dig and dig and dig until you fill your capacity using physical stamina and then you sift and sift and sift your dirt pile to extract the ore bearing chunks and this could use your mental stamina.

It seems odd that the only time I use any physical stamina while mining is in the first subsequent dig after a chunk of ore is found.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 07:28:54 pm »
Well, I just boosted my strength and endurance recently, and now I know how bad the issue is. It does seem that the ratio of mental to physical exhaustion needs some serious balancing. I imagine this isn't really a pressing issue, but i hope to see it sorted out eventually, in any case.

Quote from: Prolix
...You dig and dig and dig until you fill your capacity using physical stamina and then you sift and sift and sift your dirt pile to extract the ore bearing chunks and this could use your mental stamina....

This idea i like :)

It seems odd that the only time I use any physical stamina while mining is in the first subsequent dig after a chunk of ore is found.

This doesn't sound right at all...i use physical stamina every time I dig - a bug maybe?

Prolix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 08:02:09 pm »
Perhaps this is the benefit to increasing mining ability, mine is about 18 now.

Prolix

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:12:23 pm »

This doesn't sound right at all...i use physical stamina every time I dig - a bug maybe?

I think not. When I am under Dakkru's curse I use a lot of physical and mental stamina. More mental than physical so I believe it has to do with regeneration rate derived from the relevant character statistic levels.

Camazotz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »
the mental stamina in mining acts as a kind of boredness meter.
It's a well known fact that black cloaks are warmer than anything else.

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:55 am »
you really wouldn't be that bored looking for platinum or something. You'd actually be excited on hitting the jackpot and maybe even try to dig faster, i mean getting a few platinum ores in a row feels kinda nice.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:39 pm »
I've never done mining before, but I've done gold... searching... with a bunch of rocks... in water... in a tray thing... and it was wet... But it wasn't boring. And it's pretty much the same thing, searching for shiny stuff. And it didn't take any brains at all. Trust me, my dad did it, and he's a complete dumbarse...