Author Topic: Banned Last Name?  (Read 1911 times)

Velh Krome

Re: Banned Last Name?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:31 am »
Gah, I think its pretty much up to people individually - one takes things disruptive others dont.. "Plank"
has meaning IRL
as well, and I am not sure if calling my next char "Table" would be as fine.
Tomahawks are referring to real life cultures pretty much off setting, I agree here, I wouldnt allow that either - but again I see it like with calling yourself "Queen". Both I consider equally unacceptable, but obviously its only about povs of people in charge. If you can call yourself Queen, and arent even trying to make it look like you mean it in a whole new definition (because "Queen" does mean to Yliakums people as much as "Zradiddlratafl"), why not using Tomahawk, but DO give it a meaning all new?

I am aware of GMs dont have an easy task there, hence I am explicitly not trying to oppose, but to encourage people to just try to claim names of their taste!

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:02 am »
Tomahawk is somewhat of a tribal weapon, original to American Indians if I'm not mistaken. Axes exist in Planeshift and they are very much used, so Grimal's name makes sense.
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:12 am »
Maybe a "better" way would be to have the ability to do so individually to each part of the name, and not automatically both, but that is another deal.

Actually, this is how it works.  We ban each part of the name seperately.  But generally if a name can be used in combination with another name to violate the policy, there are other possible combinations, so in most cases it is prudent to ban both the first and the last name.  It is a bit of a judgement call, though.

there is only one /banname command it bans a name from being used for first or last name Rayken. You can pick to ban a first or a last name of a player but then it cant be used for either a first or last name in the future. It also cant be used as a pets name.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »
That is what i was trying to say ^_^  Thanks Caarrie.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:45 pm »
Gah, I think its pretty much up to people individually - one takes things disruptive others dont.. "Plank"
has meaning IRL
as well, and I am not sure if calling my next char "Table" would be as fine.
Tomahawks are referring to real life cultures pretty much off setting, I agree here, I wouldnt allow that either - but again I see it like with calling yourself "Queen". Both I consider equally unacceptable, but obviously its only about povs of people in charge. If you can call yourself Queen, and arent even trying to make it look like you mean it in a whole new definition (because "Queen" does mean to Yliakums people as much as "Zradiddlratafl"), why not using Tomahawk, but DO give it a meaning all new?

I am aware of GMs dont have an easy task there, hence I am explicitly not trying to oppose, but to encourage people to just try to claim names of their taste!

As far as names with meaning in other languages than English go, we only police those that are profane or easily recognized by English speakers. Others we only discuss if they are petitioned against and in some cases we allow them and others we change them. If you google any word, you're likely to find meaning to it so that's why we cannot be so draconian about it. The most important factor is whether or not the name chosen is disruptive and to what degree, whatever the language or form.

Remember that name changes are final and the decisions reached by the GM team cannot be appealed. Likewise, each case is different so using another player's name to argue one's worth is not likely to make any difference. If you have any questions about your name being changed, feel free to ask a GM about it, but know that you only get one chance to choose another name if your name has been changed. Asking another GM to revert the change is against the rules.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »
Maybe a "better" way would be to have the ability to do so individually to each part of the name, and not automatically both, but that is another deal.

It would be more work for the gms but if you want to see this ingame make a feature request out of it on the tracker.

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:47 am »
If it ain't broken, don't fix it I say. :)
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 06:25:45 am »
Btw, can i name my pet after an existing player? :)
* citizen asks with innocent intentions :)

neko kyouran

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 07:49:08 am »
when pet naming first came out, you could name your pet the same name as another char's name, but I don't think you're able to do that anymore.  You'd have to have a slight variation on the spelling now.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 07:56:35 am »

It is not possible to have anymore more then 1 character/pet with the same name it makes some gm commands not work if there is such a situation. all names for pets and characters have to be different.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 08:30:48 am »
Yeah, despite  PS is supposed to be a drak fantasy, my original name (Tormentor) was changed by GM :)
Leaving difference between "is supposed to be" and "is" alone behind, names such as Tormentor have absolutely nothing to do with dark fantasy. Dark fantasy doesn't just present an evil-ridden setting, but instead focuses on misery of a human's life, for example done through realistic presentation of medieval times (WFRP), or torment experienced through supernatural horror (Vampire).

Dark themes are native to both dark and heroic fantasy.
AKA Skald

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:35 am »

It is not possible to have anymore more then 1 character/pet with the same name it makes some gm commands not work if there is such a situation. all names for pets and characters have to be different.

...Of course if the person whose name you are emulating doesn't like this, they can request that you change your pet's name. Not doing so could constitute an act of harassment. The same goes for naming your pet after RL people, forum user names, or PS staff. Check the game policy section for details.

Sktn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 01:46:10 pm »
My second character name is Wanto, Wanto Ziber and its name hasn't still been banned by now,  ;D

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 01:55:25 pm »
My first alt, Furnacespirit Monsterthing, had his name changed. I sat him inside of furnaces and demanded not to be smelted upon. He's Vobika now.

Sktn, that might be because that can either be interpretted as Want-to, Want-oh, or even want-ah. And Ziber's not exactly obvious.  :P But I doubt he'll be Wanto much longer.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Just a curious question. Is it a culture thing to have a last name in Yliakum? Like in RL? Or is it normal to run into those who don't carry last names?
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!