Author Topic: Creeds  (Read 1174 times)

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Creeds
« on: June 26, 2008, 04:29:18 pm »
After four years of PS, MoM, and WoW I know that the RP versus everyone else situation is not limited to PS. Not in any way shape or form. On MoM and WoW it is about 1/3 (or less) RP, to 2/3 everybody else.

I mean RP to at least minimally mean that someone makes a name that is consistent with settings, and does attempt to act in character in game. I do not necessarily mean that they create highly-detailed backgrounds and RP productions. But plenty do outside of PS. Plenty.

The issues and frustrations that people express in all of these games with regards to those-who-immerse and those-who-do-not will never be resolved by trying to tell people what to do.

The free nature of Planeshift, and MoM for that matter, mean that there will always be new people trying the game. Probably mostly kids that are not going to take to things like RP focus just because it is stated that it is an RP game.

Perhaps there could be a visual colored indicator that appears with a player name in game. Something that would indicate creed, or whatever you might call it.

Lets say we have two creeds: RP and PL. One shows as a green dot near the name, the other as a purple dot near the name.

Everyone can vote on what creed their own character, or other characters belong in. Like a karma system, but with no penalties.

The only advantage is allowing the players to sort themselves and each other into visibly different groups for purposes of managing interactions in game.

There could be many creeds, but the number should be small to keep it manageable. Maybe Hardcore RP, Casual RP, PL, OOC, et cetera. Maybe it could be a line near the name, or some other indicator.

Believe it or not I think about this stuff at night before I go to bed. This is not a finished idea, and I am not arguing about it. Take it for what it is worth, and be excellent to one another.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Creeds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:33:57 pm »
That would be nice to have, I think, but I don't see it actually happening.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:34:45 pm »
Seems to me that something like that would want a color spectrum. even with only two ways to vote with enough votes your color could be anywhere in that range. Those at one end or the other might really indicate fewer votes so perhaps # votes could also be displayed.

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:39:34 pm »
Two was just for a simple example. Of course a spectrum, but no getting too complex. Something simple. I doubt if anything that was implemented would even resemble this idea eventually. But ... the issue is problematic all over. We don't want to segregate people into instances, but it would be nice to have some way to classify players... just with no penalties. A purely OOC way to see what someone's track record is, so to speak. I would also avoid a classifications like noob, or anything that could be derogatory. Something as objective as possible.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:41:06 pm by eldoth_terevan »

Prolix

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:43:42 pm »
of course the real problem is with the voting system itself as it lends itself to rigging. For example if there happened to be a large guild of power levelers that wanted to be known as role players they could just all vote each other that way. It would certainly take a while before enough other people voted them back to reality.

Waoknie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:52:09 pm »
Could it be a switch?(instead of a permanent setting).. not every session I go into RPing..

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:01:21 pm »
I seem to actually remember an idea similar to this coming up a while back.

The main problem I see with any system like this is it could serve to fundamentally divide the PS player base. Sure it would all still be on one server but, one essentially carved into  factions. Believe it or not, some of yesterday's "power levelers" have grown into some pretty great roleplayers and even some "hardcore RPers" like to go to the arena to hack 'n' slash a few things for a change of pace. With a game mechanic that essentially labels every person's character I am not sure that people would even be given the chance to evolve into a person that RPs. Any purple dot that went anywhere, found some red dots, and at least tried to have an IC conversation would probably be largely ignored, get frustrated, and say "screw these RP idiots!"

Besides, If you think the whole PLers versus RPers debate is bad now... just wait until you split them up into what is tantamount to gangs. :P

Scene, Kada El's Tavern after The Great Dot Civil War

Purple Dots storm Kada El's!
"Alright guys, let's kill these RP wimps!" "%$&#, They're all declining to duel!?"

Red dots all wave their hands, magically making and throwing god-modded pink fireballs.
"Hah, you guys are all dead!" "Get out of our tavern you foul beasts!" "Go back to the arena!" "((but dude, they're all RP dead)) "((hehe, oops. Arena = DR))."

The Purple Dots:
"What are you idiots talking about?!?!?! We have way better stats then you!" "Stop declining our challenges Noobs! I already got a warning for spamming!"

The Red Dots:
"((We beat you, we all have super amazing powers, earned from Roleplaying. You're all dead! Be gone!))" "((Plz, just type /die already... can't you see you lost?))

The Purple Dots:
"Oh my gawd! You Reds are such losers!" "Let's get out of here, go kill some ulbers or something."

The White (OOC) Dot people while running in circles and spamming /greet /sit and anything else worth spamming:
"hahah, omg that was funny xD" "d00d what a bunch geeks!" "Ah! %&$* brb, my cat just barfed on my keyboard. ><"

Peanuts

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
Besides, If you think the whole PLers versus RPers debate is bad now... just wait until you split them up into what is tantamount to gangs. :P

May I be the first to say I would get 100% behind this idea if all inter-creed conflict had to be done in musical form with synchronized dancing, a la West Side Story?

*snaps fingers menacingly*

(But for serious: I agree with Marqsaynt here.   I think it's a nice idea in theory but in practice it'll make training PLers to RP harder, and make the game atmosphere less hospitable.)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57:39 pm »

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »
I don't really like this idea. Extending upon Marq's extended example, this permits powerleveling. It gives players permission to never have ic conversations. It promotes loling in main chat because what do they care? They're PLs!
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 04:26:54 am »
How about we forget titles like RPer and PLer and just get on with the fact that we're all Players and all individuals therefore we each have our own individual take on how to play.

So stop trying to pigeonhole everyone, just get on and play the game, respect each others views and methods and don't do anything to infringe on the rights of others to so do.

If anyone does affect your rp use /report and make a petition/talk to a GM, we do take it seriously and we will take action
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 04:44:18 am »
Marqsaynt, I love you, man. Cat barfed on the keyboard. That cracked me up.

As to the 'dots', dunno. Could be a scary thing. You would have to have a lot of checks in place.

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:38 am »
A LOT of RPers still need to train their chars.  Kaerli trains several hours a day from an RP standpoint, so how can I NOT level her and still be IC? :P

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:40 am »
Rpers should spend less time worrying about powerlevelers and more time RPing. :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:53:20 am »
Yep, terrible idea...