Author Topic: PVP Villages XD  (Read 3151 times)

timyo101

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PVP Villages XD
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:45:10 am »
My idea is were people can make there own village and hire NPC merchants and guards but people can make raids and burn (sword to death) the villages to the ground.
i think that would be a good idea cause it would add more PVP enjoyment to the game and the villages that are up,players can benifit off of instead of running all the way back to a city in the middle of nowere. Also,whoever owned the city could choose prices for equipment and such. XD  :beta:      ;D

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
Re: PVP Villages XD
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:00 am »
Wow, that's a bold wish, and I can tell you now it won't happen. It will one day be possible to build your own house, but you'll never be able to own your own village, since the villages in PS are set in the game settings. Also the pillage and burn thing, although fun, would cause countless problems.

Thanks for your suggestion though, no doubt there will be many things in PS's future, but this won't be one.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:03:43 am »
There are free PvP areas, you know. Yes, areas (in plural).
Hmmm... I wonder where it's OK to attack someone just because they are in the wrong place. Must be a real bad neighborhood. :detective:

timyo101

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:07 pm »
Wow, that's a bold wish, and I can tell you now it won't happen. It will one day be possible to build your own house, but you'll never be able to own your own village, since the villages in PS are set in the game settings. Also the pillage and burn thing, although fun, would cause countless problems.

Thanks for your suggestion though, no doubt there will be many things in PS's future, but this won't be one.

why would it have problems? i mean it could use a little more thought and such but its not like it will piss everyone off

and if you are seen attacking someone the guards have a chance to stop u XD

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:29 am »
Well the thing is, the entire concept goes against the settings. Yliakum just doesn't have that sort of society. There may be the odd conflict, but what you're suggesting is all out war between villages. It just won't work in this game. And even if it was one day implemented, it would diminish the quality of the RPing we have come to expect from our players, because I doubt many people will think up a plausible RP reason to attack another village. It'll just be used as another tool to become elitist, which we don't really want.

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:51:00 am »
There are free PvP areas, you know. Yes, areas (in plural).
Hmmm... I wonder where it's OK to attack someone just because they are in the wrong place. Must be a real bad neighborhood. :detective:

There are?  As in, places where it's okay to PVP or places where it can be forced upon you?

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Languages: English / German
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:48:28 am »
There are?  As in, places where it's okay to PVP or places where it can be forced upon you?

As in places you can attack everyone at any time without challenge and at the same time they can attack you - AKA OpenPVP

I personally like the idea timyo and wouldn't entirely say it won't happen ever. Some time back it was said players will never be able to play official roles and now there's a poll about what players think about a player vigesemi, on IRC a poll is often made for player guards too (by our PS_Survey bot). So things can change, opinions can change and new ideas can arise and probably will be discussed when the time is ripe for them.

But one thing is for sure at the moment - it won't happen anytime soon(TM). probably not even withing the next 2 years.
Why not? Simply because there are more important goals to reach for now, like eliminating bugs, implementing all the skills, expanding the magic system, balancing the game and what not else that is on the current todo list(s)

Vonor
Quote from: Mordraugion
Quote from: zanzibar
::|  What just happened?

you got Caarried

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:26:04 pm »
I think there is an alliance forming to take over the rogue camp now. If I was playing I might try to get in on that on the ground floor.  :whistling:

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:02 am »

I would like to respectfully disagree. A stuborn group of players could build a village. Just build houses in close proximity to one another and presto bingo, village. Burning it down would be a different matter all together though. Same for the guards and traders.

And even if it was one day implemented, it would diminish the quality of the RPing we have come to expect from our players, because I doubt many people will think up a plausible RP reason to attack another village. It'll just be used as another tool to become elitist, which we don't really want.

What if I roleplay with a group of bandits intent on making coin regardless of loss of life. Yliakum does have its vilains and burning down a village should be a possibility for them. However I think it should be a privelege given only with GM support and with both sides informed OOCly. After all. What better way to raise interest in a good vilain then have him burn down something that other players took effort to build. I could see loads and loads of roleplay stemming from this. From support to the survivors to revenge against the vilains to bounty hunters taking after the coin on their heads.

Just my two units of currency.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:19 pm »
I don't think I have resurrected a dead thread so old as this one. I congratulate you young forum navigator.

But, long story short, this idea in its wholeness will never come to existence in Planeshift.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »
But, long story short, this idea in its wholeness will never come to existence in Planeshift.
This sounds incredibly silly. You don't think there will ever be a time in which those massive walls and constant rounds of guards will be more than scenery? You don't think players will ever want to hold land themselves? Create their own place in the world in spite of what anyone else thinks?
 You can't bring life to your world without change, both creation and destruction.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:02 pm »
My idea is were people can make there own village and hire NPC merchants and guards but people can make raids and burn (sword to death) the villages to the ground.

The idea.

My long story short.
This sounds incredibly silly. You don't think there will ever be a time in which those massive walls and constant rounds of guards will be more than scenery? You don't think players will ever want to hold land themselves? Create their own place in the world in spite of what anyone else thinks?

You going off on your own tangent. Deja vu.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:34:35 am »
 Well, I guess when you say "wholeness" that does narrow down the refusal, but since Timyo's idea was incoherent to begin with, I took it as being vague and broader.
 I am sorry to say, but each of those questions were ones implied by your refusal to that idea. I was merely stating the obvious, because it perhaps wasn't obvious enough.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 02:29:20 am »
Well, I guess when you say "wholeness" that does narrow down the refusal, but since Timyo's idea was incoherent to begin with

No.

It's very straightforward and to me it is coherent.
I am sorry to say, but each of those questions were ones implied by your refusal to that idea.

Obviously, but obviously since I used the word "wholeness" I was not implying that the individual concepts within his idea were not capable of being implemented. So obviously you didn't see the obvious in my own post.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 03:05:49 am »
 What does "sword to death" mean beyond attacking? Are players limited to destroying villages player made? Is it specifying just the ability to build and hire NPCs or a system to bind them together?
 Anyway, none of that matters. I want to know why you dislike this idea, because it doesn't change very much when divided or together, and it will have to be divided thoroughly to be implemented. I see no reason why such a thing would never happen, unless you are sure this project will end completely in the next year or two.

It would be nice if this were moved to the wish-list.