Author Topic: Duel messages  (Read 3568 times)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Duel messages
« on: November 29, 2008, 06:56:56 am »
I think the messages concerning dueling should be displayed not only in the system tab, but also as big green messages like for example when crafting. When you have auto-accept on (for example in a roleplay), you sometimes miss that you got challenged.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Duel messages
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:06:50 am »
make a feature request on the bug tracker if you really want this ingame ;)

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:18:31 am »
* Pizik sneaks up behind Orgonwukh and silently draws the dagger from it's sheath....

"I AM GOING TO ATTACK YOU NOW!!!"

* Pizik is struck on the noggin with an axe blade

:'(
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:41:29 am »
@Caarie: I thought the procedure is to first discuss things here, then propose a feature request when the idea has been discussed extensively.

@Pizik: I think you wanted to say that it is not realistic to be warned about impending violence. However, I disagree, because Planeshift is a roleplay game, and I need more time to type than someone needs to attack my char when auto-accept is on (1.5 to 2 seconds usually). I already proposed a countdown timer for the same reasons here:
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32392.0

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »
@Caarie: I thought the procedure is to first discuss things here, then propose a feature request when the idea has been discussed extensively.

We have no such procedure, but if you are serious about wanting something ingame you have a MUCH greater chance if you discuss it on the bug tracker then here, as most devs dont look for requests here, and talad will not approve them from the forum.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:10:55 pm »

We have no such procedure, but if you are serious about wanting something ingame you have a MUCH greater chance if you discuss it on the bug tracker then here, as most devs dont look for requests here, and talad will not approve them from the forum.

Okay, posting on bugtracker. Isn't this thread obsolete now?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »

No you can continue to discuss it here and make sure a link is provided to the feature request you made, this can also help in getting it approved.

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 05:49:19 pm »
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32392

Probably best to keep discussion to this thread as this is where there is more of it ;o)

[Also please note the rule on duplication of forum threads in the Wish List Rules ;o) ]
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:02 pm »

No you can continue to discuss it here and make sure a link is provided to the feature request you made, this can also help in getting it approved.

Link to the feature request:
http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=1569&project=2&only_watched=1

Just to get it straight: To get something implemented, the best idea is to discuss it here and on bugtracker?

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32392

Probably best to keep discussion to this thread as this is where there is more of it ;o)

[Also please note the rule on duplication of forum threads in the Wish List Rules ;o) ]

It is a different feature request. Hence this new topic. From what Carrie said above, I conclude that every feature request comes along with a post here. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
There is no rule to have a forum thread for each feature request in the bug tracker. However, if a feature request sounds like something only a single person wants, chances of it getting implemented are not very big :). To keep too much discussion out of the bug tracker (so the report is a clear description of what is requested) it is better to keep discussion of what and why in the forum. But provide a link in the feature request, so we can see if more people agree (or disagree).

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 06:53:10 pm »
[...] if you are serious about wanting something ingame you have a MUCH greater chance if you discuss it on the bug tracker then here, as most devs dont look for requests here, and talad will not approve them from the forum.

To keep too much discussion out of the bug tracker (so the report is a clear description of what is requested) it is better to keep discussion of what and why in the forum.

What now?

But provide a link in the feature request, so we can see if more people agree (or disagree).
Done.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »
What now?  -  I'll put in my two cents in.  :)

I'm fine with not being "warned" if I get attacked from behind or even face to face, if there was some sort of balance and defense in the game.  So if someone comes up behind my character, they should have to roll twice, once that they surprise my character, and another that they hit my character.  If they pass both of those, then with a bonus to hit, they'd carry out their attack, and as my character has failed to show better reactions then the attacker, I shouldn't get the message to allow me to hit my keyboard and mouse fast enough to dodge the attack.  Ah, I can see this is more complicated then I thought when first reading it.  As with PS should we be separating "my character" and "me" because if someone does a good job of trying to backstab my character and has all the stats and skills to do so, why should they be denied that just because I can work the keyboard and mouse better than them?  So having that message popup would be great if it was tied to your character passing a /Save roll eventually, whenever the mechanics get smoothed out for PS.  Right now, I stay on auto-accept because I want to see if I can react in time for such an occassion.  Keeping an eye on the info box changing to a new target, someone close by in combat mode, system tab blinking or if I happen to be on it seeing the message in time, etc.  I'm trying to learn to customize the chat window which may help with this as well.  So if you can have a split screen chat window with System messages on one side and Main in the other, you can see if someone has challenged you a bit quicker without having to spend the time to flip to the system tab.  I personally don't like all the flashing messages, must face enemy, you are too far away, etc., it gets in my way of view.  Having a character "intuition" type of message pop up automatically that someone is possibly about to attack me is good if it is like a spidy sense, so something my character has achieved to perceive, but not something to be convenient for me as a player, if that makes sense.  Temporary maybe until game mechanics are upgraded, but having the ability to mode it permanently would give that player an advantage.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 03:39:29 pm »
Refining my question "What now?":
"Is it better to discuss feature requests on bugtracker or here, on forums?"
I am still waiting for an unambigous answer.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 04:30:03 pm »
Refining my question "What now?":
"Is it better to discuss feature requests on bugtracker or here, on forums?"
I am still waiting for an unambigous answer.

You can discuss issues/features on the tracker as well as the forum, but keep in mind if there are too many comments and they get off topic they can and will be deleted, where as if you discuss them on the forum it is up to the forum mods if the posts stay. In otherwords yes you can discuss on the tracker but if you get offtopic your posts might be removed, also we [the testers] may delete them and edit the details of the request to include info provided in the comments that were deleted, in order to keep the number of comments low.

Prolix

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 04:50:05 pm »
Personally I have made feature requests on the tracker and also wishes in the wish list. Sometimes when the wish seems to get enough support here I'll make a formal request on the tracker with what I think are the best ideas from the forum thread. Other times my feature request will have evolved from a bug report that was considered "not a bug", so correctly implemented although to me poorly designed.  Either way feature request is ultimately the way to go. I can't tell you what the adoption rate for them is but it is not too high I think.