Author Topic: Weekly roleplay lessons  (Read 2937 times)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly roleplay lessons
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
I don't think there has ever been dynasties... just familiar faces.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:13 pm »
That is sad that you feel you could not learn to role play here on the forums and take it back in game Akkaido. Instead I was hoping someone might just add to what I wrote and start a real role play here. All it takes is a bit of imagination.

Also I do not think I am the only person on the forums who no longer plays. I think many people who do not play make many posts here.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Anumesa

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
Teach by example. I never would have become a roleplayer had i not become fascinated by a nearby plot that was being carried out one day. Once you start getting preachy about it it just becomes rather....lame.

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:10 pm »
no one removed your post mathy, what in the heck are you on about?

Earlier posts of Parallo and Rinehud were removed because they were flaimbaiting YOU.

We shut them down because they were rude and uncalled for.

now let's stick to the topic (one of a million) about how to get rp back.

Oh come on, don't leave me out, I got banned for a day also.  Give credit where credit is due, eh?

On a side note that just happens to be related the topic of this thread... (go figure)
Maybe we shouldn't worry so much about "getting RP back," and just have fun?  We don't need the old roleplays and the old roleplayers you miss so much, different is not always bad.  Different is not always OOC.

@mathy:  I'm sorry for your loss, but they aren't coming back, and the game will never be how it used to be when you enjoyed it (before my time).  This may be an invalid assumption, but I think the kind of roleplay you enjoyed relies on PlaneShift having no features.  PlaneShift is actually becoming a computer game now, rather than a 3D chat client.  It's not a bad thing.
Censorship FTW.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 03:38:33 pm »
I haven't heard hide nor hair from Einnol or Indygo so it's probably safe to say they aren't coming back anytime soon. But you can teach RPing and people can have fun at the same time. I usually center my lessons around cooking and food and I have never had any trouble with it. People usually have fun.

Oh and I know why the nostalgia for old RPers and old RPs. In the past, there used to be on going stories, not just here and there one shot RPs. It's more difficult to do those now, but not impossible. We older RPers just need to play often enough for people to get to know our characters again.  ;)

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »
I haven't heard hide nor hair from Einnol or Indygo so it's probably safe to say they aren't coming back anytime soon. But you can teach RPing and people can have fun at the same time. I usually center my lessons around cooking and food and I have never had any trouble with it. People usually have fun.

Oh and I know why the nostalgia for old RPers and old RPs. In the past, there used to be on going stories, not just here and there one shot RPs. It's more difficult to do those now, but not impossible. We older RPers just need to play often enough for people to get to know our characters again.  ;)

I have to laugh Illysia because you knew exactly who I meant. For the first time someone really explains what I miss the most about the old PlaneShift. Thank you Illysia.

Maybe we shouldn't worry so much about "getting RP back," and just have fun?  We don't need the old roleplays and the old roleplayers you miss so much, different is not always bad.  Different is not always OOC.

@mathy:  I'm sorry for your loss, but they aren't coming back, and the game will never be how it used to be when you enjoyed it (before my time).  This may be an invalid assumption, but I think the kind of roleplay you enjoyed relies on PlaneShift having no features.  PlaneShift is actually becoming a computer game now, rather than a 3D chat client.  It's not a bad thing.

As for you Vannaka I think you may be right. So then I say to you enjoy the PlaneShift you have now. Nothing wrong with that at all. To each their own I say.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:44 pm »
I have to laugh Illysia because you knew exactly who I meant. For the first time someone really explains what I miss the most about the old PlaneShift. Thank you Illysia.
Uh, how long have you been here?
Immaturity is FTW.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »
zanzibar I started in 2006. Things were different then. I said different, not better and I liked it. Goodness we role played for hours and hours. And just for Xillix because I hate to disappoint him, most everyone I played with is gone now and that is sad.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:29 pm »
"When your memories exceed your dreams, the end is near."
Immaturity is FTW.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:37 am »
I hope you don't mind when I use that as sig :)

[ Sorry for offtopic ]

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 01:22:31 am »
Go ahead, there's plenty more. :D

Edit:  I can't say I know who the author is, it's not in my notes.  A google search resulted in someone by the name of Andy Stanley, but that can mean anything.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:26:19 am by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Dalgin Xawanda

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 08:31:45 am »
Teach by example. I never would have become a roleplayer had i not become fascinated by a nearby plot that was being carried out one day. Once you start getting preachy about it it just becomes rather....lame.

Agreed.  There isn't the time or energy to have classes to the extent that it will make a good difference.  However, what may help is a large numbers of individuals spreading RP everywhere, maybe make a petition.  Players try to promote RP everywhere, with anyone.  They go to their guilds, and make events that anyone can participate.  They make RPing FUN.  If they come across a non RPer who, for example, wants to buy something, they pressure them to RP.  After all, if they don't want to RP, they should go to the other server.  I for one will try to to this to the best of my abilities.

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 08:41:37 am »
There's a cycle here, it happens to all the players not just those who RP.

They get in the game, as newbies they make a lot of friends, with time some of them become inactive and their circle of buddies starts to dwindle. It's the way of life, nothing you can do about it. But for yourself, the trick is to find new friends and play with them instead, learn to have fun in other ways. It's true that it gets more difficult when you have higher expectations though, but not impossible.

Roleplayers suffer from this affliction the most, because once you get to meet some very good ones, and they become inactive for any reason, it's like part of the game dies. And it does! But instead of lamenting over and over and over and oooooveeerrrrrrr about it, you could lower your expectations and actually try to form other friendships, get involved in other types of roleplay, create different types of characters...

In the end, this effort will pay off, because you never know who you teach to RP and what great roleplayers they might become. Some people are good at it and have no clue until they get involved.

There's so much you CAN do instead of complain about it. I've had enough of this "defeatism" as UtM called it.

Kudos for the idea of these Roleplay lessons. Organizers - feel free to ping the GM team for help / advices, whatever. We may or may not be able to help with all requests, but we can surely try.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:09:17 pm by Nykolai Raskaniov »
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 09:01:31 am »
You guys can stop bashing me now. Instead I will refer Instead I will refer back to this thread http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34966.0  There are great ideas here.
Again I will ask what kind of role play you would like to see in game to make these 'lessons' more meaningful?

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 09:14:24 am »
It may come as somewhat of a shock, I know, but not everything is about YOU. I didn't even mention your name.
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."