Author Topic: Pre-release of PlaneShift 0.5 and ChangeLog  (Read 26322 times)

Prolix

Re: Pre-release of PlaneShift 0.5 and ChangeLog
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:34 am »
I would like it to be 1680x1050. The 0.4.3 version had a selection of other to do that. That is missing from the pslaunch.app of 0.5.0 RC2. :(

change the aspect ratio to 16:10 and you should see a range of available resolutions including 1680x1050

Akeera

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:23 pm »
Could you post the bug numbers, please.  These don't turn up in any search I can think of.

edit:
and I really would like to know what's the reason behind this
Code: [Select]
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.rendermanager.unshadowed'
No rendermanager set!

when I add
Code: [Select]
Engine.RenderManager.Default = crystalspace.rendermanager.rlcompatto ~/.Planeshift/planeshift.cfg
the startup crashes with access violation
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:50:48 pm by Akeera »

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
then rlcompat isn't shipped

Vornne

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2009, 05:57:15 pm »
OK, I asked Xordan what the story with rlcompat was, he said it was intentionally not included as it wouldn't work correctly... sorry for the confusion.

However, those that compile from source are free to try it out, just don't report graphics glitches unless you are sure they are there with unshadowed ;)

Ghosts|Jestal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »
i think the debuff curse should be disabled with people who go through the DR. we have to work our way out of the DR, why have a debuff when we already have to work our way out of the DR? I would understand the debuff for people who choose to respawn without going to the DR, but it doesnt make sense to put people into the DR then give them the curse after completing their way out of the DR.
Signature deleted for being too small. It was soo small, it represented the smallest sig in the world.

Prolix

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2009, 12:48:53 am »
Getting out of the DR is no real punishment for dying, it is too easy.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2009, 02:19:41 am »
actually it's used as a "teleport" map

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2009, 10:22:11 pm »
Is anyone successfully running this with an nvidia GeForce4 MX 4x00 card?  Either way, if you have a graphics card in this family, please add your experiences to bug #3453.  Also if you are seeing mainly black, but sometimes really bright game elements when you turn in certain directions or dequip your helm or weapons.

http://hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=3453

Thanks!
Xarthen

Burkin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
I downloaded the new client and installed on my Windows XP Pro SP2 and... it did not launch.   :oops:  'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'. I fixed this by installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86).

It appears the C runtime DLLs packaged with the download do not work as expected. One forum I looked in suggested that from VC++ 2005 on these libraries checked whether they are actually loaded from a system directory, or not, so packing them with the application is no good. Don't know whether this is true or not.

In any case guys you obviously never really try to install this on a freshly installed system... you should really consider at least SOME compatiblity testing  :thumbdown: I mean is it really such a big problem to install a fresh copy of Windows in a virtual machine and try to install the thing there?

Not to mention the webpage still states: Minimum Requirements: Windows (2000, XP or Vista) which is not very accurate, because the game just WON'T run on XP SP1 or lower.

Now launcher runs okay. The client crashed on first attempt. On successive attempts it crashed later and later and finally I got as far as logging in and seeing myself standing in Hydlaa.utton Then it crashes. You guys are the crash masters  :thumbup:

Edit: Please do not double post use the modify button and you do realise 0.5 is a pre-pre release test version?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:09:23 pm by Mordraugion »

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2009, 02:09:05 pm »
I downloaded the new client and installed on my Windows XP Pro SP2 and... it did not launch.   :oops:  'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'. I fixed this by installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86).

It appears the C runtime DLLs packaged with the download do not work as expected. One forum I looked in suggested that from VC++ 2005 on these libraries checked whether they are actually loaded from a system directory, or not, so packing them with the application is no good. Don't know whether this is true or not.

In any case guys you obviously never really try to install this on a freshly installed system... you should really consider at least SOME compatiblity testing  :thumbdown: I mean is it really such a big problem to install a fresh copy of Windows in a virtual machine and try to install the thing there?

Not to mention the webpage still states: Minimum Requirements: Windows (2000, XP or Vista) which is not very accurate, because the game just WON'T run on XP SP1 or lower.

i've run ps perfectly from windows 2003 without service packs installed without using even the installer.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »
Also you can help by volunteering to work for the project like the rest of us.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2009, 07:24:20 am »
In any case guys you obviously never really try to install this on a freshly installed system... you should really consider at least SOME compatiblity testing  :thumbdown: I mean is it really such a big problem to install a fresh copy of Windows in a virtual machine and try to install the thing there?
You obviously never really try to do compatibility testing for a cross platform game that is this cross platform, and under continuous development. We could try clean installs for all windows configurations we can think of. But that would mean not test other parts. Or skip macs for even longer. Or leave the big bugs we do know about so you would crash a minute later. Also, fixing such bugs would mean doing all compatibility testing all over again. And then we would still miss that one configuration where OS, service packs, hardware, driver versions and install directories are such that things go wrong. Instead, we do the best compatibility testing we can get: we pre-release in a way that everyone can safely try things, and report back problems they encounter so we can get them fixed. If you cannot find the few minutes to do so in a correct and friendly way, do not get upset because we spend our many minutes on other problems :)

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2009, 08:16:15 am »
@Burkin This is a pre-release and you are testing it. :) So compatibility testing is indeed part of the process ...
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2009, 09:44:08 am »
In any case guys you obviously never really try to install this on a freshly installed system... you should really consider at least SOME compatiblity testing  :thumbdown: I mean is it really such a big problem to install a fresh copy of Windows in a virtual machine and try to install the thing there?

Reading comprehension is hard.  Thanks for confirming this statement.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:45:39 am by Rirenil Masdo »
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2009, 10:27:05 am »
I tried to install the new client on my laptop to test. Install went fine, update went fine, but getting into the game was a problem.
Most of the time I would click Play and it would just loop and take me back to the launcher again. If I got into the loadingscreen, right at the end it would crash out with Exception Access Violations of all kinds. The very few times I actually got into the game, opening a window or even turning around too quick resulted in the mighty Blue Screen of Death every time. I had set all graphics to a minimum and tried to reinstall and repair, but nothing helped  :'(

Specs:
ASUS EeePC 1000HE
Intel Atom CPU N280 @ 1.66GHz with 667 MHz FSB
Intel 945 Express Chipset GPU
2 Gb DDR 2 RAM
Windows XP - SP3
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident