Author Topic: IC settings on some races?  (Read 3234 times)

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
Re: IC settings on some races?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:31:10 am »
the smooth or rough enki fur would all depend on how one plays them.  For example, a prissy lady who never goes outside and spends half her time cleaning herself would have smooth fur, whereas a warrior would have rough and matted fur.

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Fyrre wanders into the strange world of the forums. I was thinking about making a topic about the races' more detailed descriptions too... would you mind if I posted some questions here?

I'd say Enkidukai are more based on domestic cats than wild, at least going from the race's models. The models all have pointed ears, where the wild cats whose fur patterns some of them share have rounded ears. The concept drawings have slitted pupils like domestic cats, but it's harder to tell with their models, though domestic cats' pupils can become rounded too. I've seen a lot of Enkidukai hiss and purr, but hardly ever a roar and never a "chuffing" sound like the big cats make. Probably only the original developers know how close to either group of cats Enkidukai were originally intended to be, but I've found more examples of them acting like domestic cats in role plays.

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »
Sure Fyyre, more questions the better!  \\o//

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »
I growl and grunt to men and purr to the ladies.

Fyrre Tijorra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »
Okay then, but I forgot some...

Enkidukai
Can they sheathe and unshethe their claws?
Do they have a Jacobson's gland (that cats "taste" or smell the air better with), or a similar organ?
Can their pupils go from slits to circles, and do their irises go to almost the visible corners of their eyes?
Do baby Enkidukai crawl, or walk on all fours?

Nolthrir
Can they talk to each other underwater?
What color is their blood?

Kran
If they somehow get hurt, do they bleed?
Do they have bones (maybe made of rock) and muscles?
Are their eyes gemstones, a different kind of rock, or something else?
Can they smell?
Can they feel? If so, how does that sense work with skin made of rock?
When a kran is born in gemmation, does kra grow to kras full size quickly, or are younger kran smaller than older ones?

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »

Enkidukai
Do they have a Jacobson's gland (that cats "taste" or smell the air better with), or a similar organ?
Can their pupils go from slits to circles, and do their irises go to almost the visible corners of their eyes?

Nolthrir

Kran
Can they smell?
When a kran is born in gemmation, does kra grow to kras full size quickly, or are younger kran smaller than older ones?

Going with laws of physics, I can answer the first Nolthrir question  :woot:
No they cannot because if they try to talk underwater the sounds would turn into bubbles and rise to the surface thus making no noise at all for them to hear. Although they might have developed a sign language like klyros have for underwater communication.

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »
hi fyrre

kran have no nose or ears   :( (but kran perceive sounds thanks to vibrations on their bodies)

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »
I growl and grunt to men and purr to the ladies.

To the kran you...?

-sig by sarras

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »

Enkidukai

Nolthrir

Kran
Can they smell?

No they cannot because if they try to talk underwater the sounds would turn into bubbles and rise to the surface thus making no noise at all for them to hear. Although they might have developed a sign language like klyros have for underwater communication.

Actually...maybe their vocal system works differently than a normal human's when they're underwater?

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »

Enkidukai

Nolthrir

Kran
Can they smell?

Actually...maybe their vocal system works differently than a normal human's when they're underwater?

Unless they use a talking system like dolphin's clicking that require no air use like normal talking (Wouldn't be good for talking in English) then it would be very hard for them to get information across talking. And they still seem to need to breathe air from what I read in the database so it's very unlikely they can.

Suvi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »
One way to make Nolthrir underwater speech work is to have it be similar to how whales and dolphins communicate.   Cetaceans push air through their equivalent of a nasal cavity, which they can control, (like we can control the larynx), to produce sounds which then go out through their blowholes.   Nolthrir could have a similar setup, with the sound produced by air from their gills going through a specialized nasal cavity, then out their nostrils.   IIRC the book about music in-game implies that Nolthrir music is whalesongesque, so that would be consistent.   

It would also mean their language would be hard for any other species to speak, though.  So that could raise some theme issues   :-\

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 01:27:09 am »
dunno about y'all, but i can talk underwater. though, it's not that clear.

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 07:13:10 am »
dunno about y'all, but i can talk underwater. though, it's not that clear.

No one would be near earshot of you though, the sound would dissipate very quickly  ;D

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »
actually i have talked to people underwater. it sounds like this:

"pphhbbllpphheyyy bbllwabllssaaap!??"

"nuuffbblllin gllbbmmuuuschhh yoouuggglgle?"

"wwhaagbb?"

"huuhgbluug?"

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:23 am »
 Increase the pitch to what would be a horrible screech through air and your voice becomes just clear enough to communicate one word at a time. Also, it would be much easier to do if your lungs could fill with the water, and you got some practice. I figure nolthrir could be heard clearly for about 8 meters underwater. They wouldn't need to use clicks, but that kind of speech would increase their range significantly.

Why do people capitalize the racial names? When people refer to any given species in real life, they don't capitalize it.