Author Topic: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored  (Read 13138 times)

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:36 pm »
Jilata, nice to see more of your sketches. They all have a kind of naive charm to them from your not having had art lessons. And I mean that in the nicest way. Keep drawing things you want and enjoy, and the skills will come if more realism is important to you. Realism isn't necessary for art to be good and I always figured, if you work hard to make a picture look like someone photographed it.... what was the point? It would have been so much easier just to take a photo.

With more realistic art, I prefer subjects that would be impossible to photograph, or drawn in a way that would be difficult to simply shoot with a camera. I think the most important thing with art is to try to show or create emotion from people who look at your art. That is what makes art successful in my opinion.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »
Khado looks great! So very dignified.  You've done such a good job!
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

AdamAkkach

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 01:00:57 am »
Some really nice drawings!
You have a gift, use it to your advantage.

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »
Thanks for the pic, Jilata!  Love it :D

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 08:13:19 am »
This pic is based on a recent RP which made her to avoid Hydlaa for a while and so she stayed in the wilderness of bdroad1 doing nothing than thinking about what happened. During that time I created a small garden when I was bored. Half of the flowers vanished one time. After the whole garden vanished another time I wasn't in the mood to rebuild it anymore.

I used a smudge this time ;)

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 09:35:17 am »
 \\o// \\o//

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »
I would recommend 1) blending more, like that other guy said. Your art would looks awesome with blending. 2) Buy Corel Painter Essentials 4 or Photoshop. For your sketchy style, I would recommend Corel. Look at my thread "Kaibane's Gallery" in Fan Art for some stuff made in Corel.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:07:00 pm »
I've seen several posts suggesting you use more blending. While sometimes this can help add more realism to drawings, I'd like to add that I prefer to see the line strokes in pencil drawings and like a sketchier look. Blending hides lines an artist uses in constructing shapes in their drawings and can also remove directional lines indicating curves and such. While smudging has it's place and can be put to good use, it's not needed to create better work. There are lots of ways of using a pencil that show just as much depth and shading, and don't cover up your strokes. While it's good to experiment with different methods, I wanted you to know there's value in allowing the media used, in this case a pencil, to show through in your artwork.

Perlam

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Masters of Move Guildsite
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:09 am »
I tried to work with more contrast this time. Never had drawing lessons. All I can now is selftaught ;)

I added the link to the pictures. So you need only to klick on them to see them in the original size.

Just a view in Ojaveda. Somehow I had no idea for any persons in there.

you er attempted to use more black, but you still won't let loose your fear of using black, it's a matter of daring, don't worry if you mess up one drawing, it's only one drawing... Experiment more in the usage of black and all your drawings will get more depth!

[it's still a greytone, not black]

For the rest, keep it up

Heleckie: why is there always an apple involved
Heleckie: why not a mango

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:59 am »
@Avathius: I won't use corel draw or gimp or a similar program. My drawings are drawn with a pencil and paper only and I won't edit it any further.

@Perlam: I think I know now what you mean with black. It is not possible with a pencil to get black lines. They will always be a bit grey. I would need to use coal pens to get it really black. Maybe I will try it one day. Not too sure about it.

Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I still try different stuff. And I have fun with it.  :)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 07:09:44 am »
Your pencil may not make the lines black.

But your scanner interface or image manipulation program may. (Brightness / Gamma / Stretch histogram)

I am just not certain if I should really recommend that. The results may turn out unnatural.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 03:58:16 pm »
You've got a wonderful style with pencils, and I love how you show the lines, like Dannae says.  Charcoal pencils can be fun to add true black to a drawing, but they smudge really badly, and i've ruined lots of drawings with them while i was getting used to them.  I don't see any problem with you just using a pencil and making a dark grey for the shading you want to do. 

Your pictures are all lovely just the way they are.
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »
smudging is ugly with pencil. you could try a black pencil or ink for more definition. my favorite type of shading is (cross)hatching, which also helps with showing texture.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »
If you choose to shade with pencil, you should use one with soft graphite. The harder the graphite, the uglier the smudging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil

* Thomas Edison had his pencils specially made by Eagle Pencil. Each pencil was three inches long, was thicker than standard pencils and had softer graphite than was normally available.[36]
    * Vladimir Nabokov rewrote everything he had ever published, usually several times, by pencil.[36]
    * John Steinbeck was an obsessive pencil user and is said to have used as many as 60 a day. His novel East of Eden took more than 300 pencils to write.[36]
    * Vincent van Gogh only used Faber pencils as they were "superior to Carpenters pencils, a capital black and most agreeable".[36][37]
    * Johnny Carson regularly played with pencils at his Tonight Show desk. These pencils were specially made with erasers at both ends in order to avoid on set accidents.[38]

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:29 am »
If you choose to shade with pencil, you should use one with soft graphite. The harder the graphite, the uglier the smudging.

I noticed that I am using pencils with different graphite. Though I knew already, that there are different ones, I never checked the pencils I use.  :whistling:

Anyway, here my latest pic. There is no story behind it. I was just in the mood to draw it ;)
If you can't recognize it: Jilata is sitting on one of the stones at the plaza.