Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] We're Remaking the tutorial so it’s fun and interesting thread  (Read 2903 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Remake the tutorial so it’s fun and interesting thread
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »
I'm really glad this is happening!
Well here's my opinion on the tutorial...

The layout or look of the tutorial is a bit annoying (yes I'm talking about the updated map, it is nicer than the old one). I think having everyone inside a shop or stall would look and work much better. Starting in an outdoor bakery for Abelia, then going to a blacksmith shop for Neave and then maybe for Ibhaar a little arena or you have to go into his basement of his house and kill some rats, get creative. At the moment it seems to take you round in circles, seems small, the buildings seem pointless, feels completely OOC and not like you are actually in a part of Hydlaa the largest city.

All the quests you do should be much more brief, especially Xargon (the Klyros and the last person to talk to) is completely a pain, so frustrating. He completely blabbers on and on and on. (Well the last time I did the tutorial he did.) I think his part needs to be at least halved. Much much much more brief!! Overall the five quests should take around 20-30 minutes.

Make it so that the rats in the tutorial take about 15-20 seconds to kill, taking no health points from the character. All rats in the tutorial drop hides, so you don't have to kill heaps till you finally get one to give to Ibhaar.

Be able to skip parts you aren't interested in, I certainly wouldn't be interested in cooking/baking or magic (I'd much rather read a pop-up at a later stage or get some help from a friend on how to purify a glyph).
Here's an example, Abelia sends you to Neave, Neave asks you if you are interested in learning how to use a furnace, if you say "No I'm not interested" maybe the help tab (off the main toolbar) flashes once or twice and a little pop up saying you can learn how to use a furnace at anytime/later stage here.
Maybe it's a little town center with various shops you can enter and choose to do quests with the vendor inside instead of it being a set of quest chains and the map being a little maze.

On a slightly off topic point.
Attacks from the Stone Labrynths seems a fair external 'current setting' or reasoning for the tutorial, how about there being internal issues as well, like the Ojaveda Plague being more widespread in the dome or something else as well to give reasoning for the lack of access to most parts of the dome. If you don't want that at least extend the idea of the Ojaveda Plague to be very obvious in Ojaveda - have guards by blocked gates automatically telling you it's closed off due to the plague, have barricades against the gates to stop people trying to get through, add some info about it in quests.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:53:49 am by Vakachehk »
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Remaking the tutorial so it’s fun and interesting thread
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 05:17:49 am »
To put my little stone here, something that isn't explained much and confuses the new players is how to train skills. Many don't get the concept or the blue line in the exp bar filling with training bought from npcs and then the red part filling by practicing the skill, at least not right away. It would be good if the tutorial offered some experience and a few trias and asked the player to purchase some skill from a trainer (for ex swords or daggers) and then train it from rank 0 to 1.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:48 am »
No matter what direction or details are chosen for the tutorial, the first and foremost thing to keep in mind is that less is more.

Whatever is written needs to be edited for clarity. Forget making the NPCs do cute things during the tutorial. Don't write two sentences where one sentence will do. Chop all extra words that are redundant in a paragraph. Make it as concise as possible. Wall text is not good.

Also allow for spacing between paragraphs in the chat window. If possible, allow for kerning and tracking between characters, or effects on the text itself. The essential problem with the chat window for people who's eyes are not used to it is that it all runs together, better spacing and presentation of chat text will cause dramatic improvement non-obvious ways.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »
@Vakachehk

First, sounds like your first comment would require new art, and that just isn't possible. But the design of the tutorial will be more interesting when I'm done.

In regards to rats if we ask players to kill them they will be easy for players to kill, I hope atleast.

With skipping parts its previously been mentioned to me and I'm thinking of adding skipping of parts, but the current text and the text I'm writting is completely different and I want it to be interesting enough that reading it all is interesting.

@chessire

For explanations of training there will be clear explanations that's player's are targeted to in the help file. And there will be progression points and possibly tria in everyone's pocket when they get into hydlaa.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
It would be nice if the new players could get a general map of the dome level. Maybe something like what jaycol has done that gives you a general idea where each of the cities/outposts are with maybe some os the mine or resource locations. The whole idea of being lost or not having aclue where you are suppose to go is frustrating to new players.

Maybe put a bulletin board in the tutorial where GMs can lock messages that might be of interest to new players like maybe guild who are recruiting, notice about some of the fixed events like the monthly markets etc.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:20 am »
It would be nice if the new players could get a general map of the dome level. Maybe something like what jaycol has done that gives you a general idea where each of the cities/outposts are with maybe some os the mine or resource locations. The whole idea of being lost or not having aclue where you are suppose to go is frustrating to new players.

Maybe put a bulletin board in the tutorial where GMs can lock messages that might be of interest to new players like maybe guild who are recruiting, notice about some of the fixed events like the monthly markets etc.

I agree about showing at least two mines, one iron and one coal mine. This little "spoiler" will get the new players on the right track.

Sarko

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:32 am »
What about adding a iron mine in the tutorial  ?
in order to teach them how to dig
Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 06:56:49 am »
What about adding a iron mine in the tutorial  ?
in order to teach them how to dig

But then every new player needs to have the skill "mining" on at least level 1. Or they need an opportunity to train the skill in the tutorial. Otherwise those with the skill at 0 can't mine there.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Well, smelting Iron Ore to Molten Iron was possible in the tutorial, so it seems there is an exception for the required skills. Still, they need to be told to learn it before using it...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 10:35:26 am »
It would be good if the tutorial offered some experience and a few trias and asked the player to purchase some skill from a trainer (for ex swords or daggers) and then train it from rank 0 to 1.

Good idea, Chessire. My suggestion would be to not use a combat skill for the purchase. One of my characters has taken the high road of not killing anything. This has been a challenge enough in game. To face it in the tutorial would be doubly cruel for other such characters.

- Nova

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:50 pm »
@eonwind

We could add a map but we would need someone to make one, easier might be to just add iron next to levrus and tell the player they can mine there.

@sarco
Minning is not something you need to teach, hold a rick pick and click dig or /dig. Telling them about how you can only mine in certain spots need explaining.

@jilata

Every skill you will need to use in the tutorial will be given to the player if they don't start with it.at least level one

@novacadian

Many different trainers can be set in the tutorial, but if we do suggest they train we can give a selection based on the NPC.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 02:25:10 pm »
In regards to rats if we ask players to kill them they will be easy for players to kill, I hope atleast.

We can have the NPC accept any rat part rather than just hides.  Then the only way a player would fail after killing one rat is if they happen to loot nothing, and with the latest loot rules being what they are is much less likely.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
/offthe wall:

live tutorial! Recruit players to help out in the tutorial every once in a while, through roleplay!
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Eardstapa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »
Thanks, Venalan, this is very welcome news!

Being boring didn't help the existing tutorial meet the goals one wants to establish at the start of such a project. Namely, that a new player should emerge from the tutorial with
. basic knowledge of the mechanics (movement and interaction)
. basic knowledge of the game world (settings)
Why? >> in order to enjoy playing a character that lives, works and interacts in such a world.

So, I wonder, can we see the entire tutorial encourage roleplay more? To me this means visuals, NPC dialogue and mechanics information working together in fun ways to help a player start thinking through and "being" his/her new character:

. Visuals: yes to background displays of craftable and buyable items relevant to each NPC, and perhaps Ibhaar's rats could be accompanied by a small menagerie of more fun, interesting creatures; yes to pets and mounts; yes to a busier, friendlier, less maze-like layout

. NPCs: yes to a welcome beer and snack :)
Since NPC dialogue will use story to relate settings, I wonder if the main institutions (these are just suggestions: government - Abelia?, guards and Stone Labyrinths - Ibhaar?, religions and magic, including Death Realm - Orphia?, merchants and professions, not only blacksmithing - Neave?, artists and scientists - ?) could all get a very brief mention in the tutorial, perhaps with Xenak at the end directing you to the starting NPC of various faction quests that tell you more, in game proper. If a map is too hard to make, a book/scroll directory might work, and teaching people to read signposts ;)

. On the mechanics side, could we add information about editable/editing descriptions.
Also, with the "golden man" icon, it may be possible, like Vakachehk suggested, to skip what your character is not interested in or leave it to be learnt in game proper.

. Lastly, the starting pack Eonwind suggested for different character choices: this idea helps get a character get started on a roleplayable path. If players will already have picked up some rewards from the NPCs along the way, perhaps the pack could be as simple as a buff item or raw materials for crafting, whichever is relevant to the character's path.

/offthe wall:

live tutorial! Recruit players to help out in the tutorial every once in a while, through roleplay!

This could be nice, although some might feel that it gives participating players/guilds an "unfair" advantage? Any feedback from those who have taken part before?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 07:04:51 am »

Venalan, good luck with this project, which is indeed a big challenge, but has great potential for raising the player base. If somebody can get this done any time in the near future, it will be you.

/offthe wall:

This could be nice, although some might feel that it gives participating players/guilds an "unfair" advantage? Any feedback from those who have taken part before?

I think there never was any problem with tutorial helpers in the past.