Author Topic: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread  (Read 19390 times)

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:48 pm »
* Roled considers exposing himself to Riggy, then remembers "Ah right! I be married!"  :whistling:
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »
Roled, you naughty little elf!   ::|

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 10:45:59 pm »
If you are into those kinds of RP, there is suspense to those kinds of situations. It's why some people don't need to go out and bash someone in the head to be on the edge of their seats; action is relative ironically enough. ;D

I don't mind RPing with strangers but it is harder to get RPs of the depth like the ones I did with Marqsaynt and Orgonwukh. Those built upon preexisting relationships and interactions. (I shall henceforth refer to people as Marqsaynt=Marq Semutara=Sem Zandral=Zan and Orgonwukh=Org) For instance, Marq was married to Sem then they divorced. Marq went with Zan and Sem went with Org. Marq and Org couldn't stand each other and and Zan and Sem couldn't stand each other and the whole thing turned into a big falling out. I couldn't have planned all of that, it simply happened but everyone had been in place for awhile when it happened.

But that isn't to say you can't RP with strangers and have engaging RPs since I had never met Ixala before ICly but I learned about her in a short period of time by watching her and Marq interact and she was an engaging character in her own right.

However, plots take more effort and I often find that for the sake of character consistency I often have to break off from them. Not to mention they just don't come around as often. I don't mind them though, but my characters rarely fit into plots.

*Readies the Wooden Spoon of DOOM(tm)*
There will be no exposing in this thread. >.>

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 10:54:36 pm »
Good lord, y'all have dirty minds. My virgin ears will never be the same. That's not quite what I meant by being exposed to strangers, though that sort of exposure to strangers does have a certain type of taboo appeal. This is PS though, so I won't go there. I was talking about experiencing the unknown ( My, that sounds dirty ). I mean - finding yourself in situations or predicaments that you might not have previously imagined (That doesn't sound any better.) Er eh... being powerful at times, bound, beaten and helpless at others. ( Oh..kay... we're not making any progress here. )

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »
* Mariana Xiechai 's eye twitches. "Thank you. thank you. I needed that imagery so much..."

Again, it draws me back to book preferences. When talking to people about what genre I enjoy, I often comment that I actually like a little "relationship drama" or "romance" sprinkled in, even in healthy amounts, but if it's ALL the book is about, it's going to become a doorstop after I've skimmed like half a chapter. I just can't do it. It doesn't engage me at all. I want to be surprised, and enjoy the twists and turns, get behind a really detailed character with obsessive compulsive disorder because as a child they got smacked around if they didn't clean the bathroom just right. That's the sort of depth that intrigues me. I can do with the lovey dovey as it were, and even the soap-esq drama in spurts, but if it's the entire book, or the entire Role Play? Then there's simply no reason for me to be involved, because I glean no enjoyment from it whatsoever.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2013, 11:08:56 pm »
Have you heard of or read REAMDE by, hmm Neal Stephenson?

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »
Have you heard of or read REAMDE by, hmm Neal Stephenson?

I hadn't until now, but I read the synopsis and it certainly sounded like it would be an interesting read!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2013, 11:22:28 pm »
Hmm.. README doesn't sound like a book I would want to read much. My favorite books are written by James Michener and they aren't fast past action thrillers but more like unfolding sagas that take several different stories and weave them all together using a common thread that you might not have realized was even there.

I like that it gives me time to think on the character and the ramifications of their actions before slamming into the next "crisis". Not to mention he is very good at presenting various viewpoints as they are viewed by the characters without personal judgement. If a character felt justified in swindling someone, you heard the whole thought process including the character's justifications and glorifications, even if the character themselves is completely reprehensible.

However, the unknown is fine, I just prefer the unknown to come from less completely disconnected sources.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2013, 11:50:22 pm »
I've read most of Michner and learned alot from him.... what was the archeological one , I forgot the title of that one, really liked it, Egypt, middle east, palestine, interesting mix of history, religious evolution, philosophy and archeo anthropology...

README isn't pulp, it's got actually amazing character development, lots of complexity, a mult cultural view of things, fascinating interweaving of characters who have developed a virtual mmorp and their real lives, and lots of surprising plot twists.  And its 900 + pages so don't take it on unless you've got time!

And Stephenson has th most extensive vocabulary of any contemporary writer I've read- I had to sit with the OED online open and look up words on every other page!  \\o//

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:54 pm »
I think you mean The Source. I have it, but I haven't read it yet. Currently reading Mexico actually. It's a possibility I could like README. Depends on the characterization. Really good characters will make me forgive other things. However Michener doesn't make me grab the dictionary quite that often but even he can send you to it pretty often too.

But I do like stories where you learn something from it. That would be much harder in an RP though.

After thought:
I suppose I should ask, for those of you who need all those other details about what is going on around the character, how much do you need to feel a complete scene? I might as well get a feel for where I need to fill in more.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:40:02 am by Illysia »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 12:45:38 am »
After thought:
I suppose I should ask, for those of you who need all those other details about what is going on around the character, how much do you need to feel a complete scene? I might as well get a feel for where I need to fill in more.

For me, its about capturing or creating an experience.  A dash of color here and there doesn't really do it.  Again, I don't think RP is really a sufficient method for me to get that wow experience. Collaborative writing and solo writing seem to work better for me. Likewise, seeing an awesome movie does it for me too.

Speaking of which. Does anyone here follow "The Walking Dead" ?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 12:58:30 am »
Sorry, no. Zombies aren't my thing.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:57 am »
Another thread with 2 more pages "over night"; this appears completely contrary to the title of this thread! ;D

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 01:42:56 am »
How is it contradictory? :P I think it is rather self explanatory. We are bored so we are talking to pass time. You were sleep so you missed it. ;)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 10:26:00 am »
Speaking of which. Does anyone here follow "The Walking Dead" ?

Daryl is win. Nuff said.

No but seriously at the risk of stealing your thunder I think I know exactly what you're about to get at. My friends often refer to the series as a "soap opera with zombies."  ;D Not exactly accurate but the idea is that a lot of the storyline is based deeply in character social interactions...beneath the surface of OMG IT'S A ZOMBIE SHOOT IT SHOOT IT!

(I gotta say the over abundance of "whose baby is it" in season two kiiiiiinda drove me a little crazy though.)

But in all honesty I still very much enjoy the interactions between the characters for other reasons. Things like the conditions they have to live in that causes stress on their relationships, these "intangible antagonists," can for me take something that would otherwise be totally hollow and a drudgery to endure far more interesting. And, let's face it, far more realistic. A couple doesn't even have to be constantly bickering about something amongst each other (even that would get old after a while, for me even more quickly,) instead, I mean outside opposition, maybe not even having to do with their relations, friend to friend, spouses, or what have you, can add a certain level of depth that would have been very much absent before that. It's the impact of such strenuous conditions from other outside forces that makes such things more entertaining to me personally. (Which is why I constantly create said antagonists if there isn't one from someone else.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:53:17 am by Mariana Xiechai »