Author Topic: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread  (Read 19177 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread
« Reply #960 on: March 11, 2014, 11:09:39 pm »
Quote from: Eonwind
@Rigwyn: I have a question for you  - and beware I'm leading you into a trick - you've been speaking about god(s) now please give me the scientific definition of a god.

I have never been given a scientific definition of god. I've heard a lot of inconsistent and conflicting accounts of who and what this god is, but none of them have been any more than opinions and hearsay as far as I can tell.

You might ask how I can say there is no god if I cannot tell you what a god is, but like I said before, this god that christians and other various religions talk about is unfounded. You could say that I am somewhere between agnostic and atheist in my view.

If your rebuttal is that only the heart can know love or god, then I'll ask you to give me a scientific definition of the "heart". To my knowledge, its basically a blood pump. :p

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 11, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »
If you created the universe in your mind, then you are still real. What I mean was that for there to be a construct to be unreal in, real must exist, but I suspect "real" is actually relative. That was the point I was making with getting punched in a dream. However, at best, we'd be in a shared imagination since each one imagines they are real and any one point could be the center, if you use that analogy, if there is a singular originating point at all.

... I fear this will make your god argument take on new life.

You really have no idea how much you walked right into another debate about God. I'll give you time to reconsider and back out now. ;)

I will not back down. If you show me that I am wrong, then I will gladly accept your finding. I would much rather believe in a god than in no god at all. The christian claim that salvation ( lets not get into specifics ) leads to a happy, eternal life. As an agnostic, my believe is more that once you die, that is it - lights out, no memories. Nana. Poof!

But maybe you are just something that I imagined? You might not be real ( from your perspective, I might not be real )

The body and head might be an illusion too.  I could be a brain in a vat of chemicals. How would I know?

All of this reality could be the dream of some strange alien.

Yeah, these are obscure ideas, but how do you tell what is what here?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 11, 2014, 11:47:55 pm »
Well, if you take the perspective "we are manifestations of god's will in that he thought of us and we were created," you can make the point that we are God's thoughts. However, we again have the issue of defining how "real" we are.

How do you tell what's real? To some extent you have to "take a leap of faith" no matter what path you try to prove that by. If you try to test for it scientifically, any approach you take is defined by the same levels of real that you exist in so you have to choose to believe the results you get. If you take someone's word for it, God's, Human's, or Alien's, you'll still have to reconcile it in your own mind which is not something someone else can define for you. You have to decide what is actually important to you for defining real then look for what in your mind will be the touchstone for that requirement. Indicators don't always apply universally.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 12, 2014, 12:15:22 am »
Well, if you take the perspective "we are manifestations of god's will in that he thought of us and we were created," you can make the point that we are God's thoughts. However, we again have the issue of defining how "real" we are.

So far, we spoke of two kinds of "real", a subjective "real" as in "my experience is real", and an objective "real" as in "The world is filled with concrete things and we are just one of many"

If the subjective version of "real" is used to determine if Illy is real or not ( I think of illy, therefore she is ), and then I die of a stroke, then are you still real? If you are ,then "real" must be an objective thing. The problem is, your experience is subjective. Is is possible for a human to have an objective view of the world/universe?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 12, 2014, 12:34:41 am »
( I think of illy, therefore she is ), and then I die of a stroke, then are you still real?

No if I am real in relation to you, yes as long as I am not real in relation to you. That analogy relies on you being at the core of the reality, but shift the center and the terms change. I think of it far more like "real" layers though. There is the center which is the ultimate reality, then there are onions layers beyond that. The further out you go the less "real" it is, real in this case depending on "substance". I would assume that something like thoughts would be on that outer layer. It's all related and part of the same continuum, it all exists but in different states of "real". However, each layer is relative to the others with exception of the core layer. All layers are what they are in relation to it. Perhaps real is simply a marker for determining how different or detached a layer is from the core. But this is all just is just wild speculation.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:30 am »
I think both are real. There is subjective reality and objective reality.

Let say I put you in one room with a single window in it that points to an apple a hundred feet away, then put eonwind into a similar room with a window facing the same apple. You two cannot see each other, only the apple. So I shoot an arrow at the apple, then open the two doors and ask each of you what you witnessed.

When I see that your objective experiences were remarkably similar, to mine ( as I shot the apple ), then I know with some degree of certainty that your subjective realities (as well as mine ) were influenced by an objective reality (the shooting of the apple)

But wait.. what if you and eonwind are imaginary? Then all this connectivity is happening within my subjective reality.

how do I know if it's all in my head, or if it's happening outside of my head?

A leap of faith?

I was going to say that taking a leap of faith is just giving up, but actually, making a choice, pro, con, or undeterminable is sort of like your leap of faith. Either way, we don't know, so we can either take a leap of faith, or we can just say "I can't tell."

I'll go for the latter. I can't tell.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:39 am »
making a choice, pro, con, or undeterminable is sort of like your leap of faith.

That is exactly what it is. Everyone has biases is subject to outside influences whether they are aware of them or not, but at some point you have to stop sorting through the sea of influences, trying to find the bottom, and dare to make a choice. That is simply life.

I personally choose leap of faith but I know that is my personality coming into play. I'm the kind of person that can't stand indecision and would rather have to double back than sit on the fence. Pick a perspective you can follow through on and pursue it until you have reason to change course.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2014, 01:44:59 am »
So then you will turn your back on your god if I can give you sufficient reason to change course?

lol .. kidding...

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2014, 01:49:41 am »
If I felt had a sufficient reason I probably would but I haven't really had an issue with that. :P I find you have less crises of faith when you learn to tell the difference between your faith and other people meddling around in it. ;)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:02 am »
Still bored?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2014, 04:10:05 am »
Yes, but tired. My mind had a topic but I'm too tired to come back to it. I'll try tomorrow once I've had a chance to reboot.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2014, 04:26:27 am »
Quote from: Eonwind
@Rigwyn: I have a question for you  - and beware I'm leading you into a trick - you've been speaking about god(s) now please give me the scientific definition of a god.

I have never been given a scientific definition of god. I've heard a lot of inconsistent and conflicting accounts of who and what this god is, but none of them have been any more than opinions and hearsay as far as I can tell.

You might ask how I can say there is no god if I cannot tell you what a god is, but like I said before, this god that christians and other various religions talk about is unfounded. You could say that I am somewhere between agnostic and atheist in my view.

If your rebuttal is that only the heart can know love or god, then I'll ask you to give me a scientific definition of the "heart". To my knowledge, its basically a blood pump. :p

As I foresaw you've fallen into the trap  ;D ... almost...
You were on the right way by recognizing science has no definition of the term "god" and this is one of the reason among many why science can tell nothing about god...

So yes now I could ask how you can say god is unfounded but you somewhat already answered: from a scientific pov you just cannot (because the foundation of every theory require at least a good understanding and definition of the subject being researched), but taking the term unfounded in the realm of philosophy this could be simply read you cannot find any foundation of its existence in your personal experience.

And here is the point: the definition of "god" as it seems we are using in this topic can only be found withing the realm of philosophy, and in this realm I can easily find the definition of the term "heart" as well: "the inner seat of the emotions and the conscience in a human being". You can use for my definition other words like "Ka", "soul" ... whatever ... still a philosophic fact exists: human beings have emotions and a conscience and the this fact is based upon the evidence that emotions and conscience are an human experiences shared by the majority of human beings during the course of their lives and the course of history. And please note from the philosophy perspective no further proofs are needed for that statement.

For those of you who don't know what philosophy is and before you all start saying silliness :P it must be very clear that:
1. philosophic statements don't require a strict proof like a scientific statement require;
2. philosophic statements are based upon coomon human experiences which are also based on the observations of the world around us (so a philosophic theory which lead to deny altogether the evidence of the existence of the gravity is off, albeit a philosophic theory can't care less how the phenomenon exists and its physical causes - that ust be let to science)
3. philosophic theory need an internal consistence so while strict logic is not a mandatory requisite relying on logic statements make a theory more consistent.

So as shown above philosophy both exist at the same time in the realm of subjectivity and objectivity. So please let's avoid stupid silliness like: "philosophy is only subjective and anyone can make its own philosophy and they are all true".
Of course if it will appear quite clearly from the above statements that once an individual has embraced a (hopefully consistent) philosophic theory this must be adapted to his own subjectivity.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2014, 04:56:27 am »
And here is the point: the definition of "god" as it seems we are using in this topic can only be found withing the realm of philosophy, and in this realm I can easily find the definition of the term "heart" as well: "the inner seat of the emotions and the conscience in a human being". You can use for my definition other words like "Ka", "soul" ... whatever ... still a philosophic fact exists: human beings have emotions and a conscience and the this fact is based upon the evidence that emotions and conscience are an human experiences shared by the majority of human beings during the course of their lives and the course of history. And please note from the philosophy perspective no further proofs are needed for that statement.

Yes, I agree with that, however, try to tell a *"born again christian", baptist, or "seventh day adventist" that god is something that only exists in the realm of philosophy or within one's subjective reality, and not in objective, scientific reality. This is not what they preach. The problems that exist due to people mixing their theistic beliefs with every day life ( ie. hospitals refusing certain types of services, restaurants refusing to serve homosexuals, government offices spending tax payer's money on religious statues, discrimination against non-believers or different believers) are not isolated to some philosophical plane. These are real world issues.

When people are discriminated against for being pagans, non-believers, or those who are not-saved, do you think these folks are referring to a subjective or philosophical belief in god?

Regarding the heart, what is the difference between the "heart" and the "mind"? The heart sounds to me like its a subset of the mind.  We perceive emotions and process logical thought in the brain, don't we? If they are both perceived with the brain, then how to you call one set of neural reactions heart, and another set of neural reactions, mind?

( ^ This question is meant as a friendly challenge. Honestly, I have not really tried to pick it apart myself yet. )

Thank you for your well thought out response.

* note: I only mentioned a few specific religions here in order to make an example and to avoid generalizing too much as some have noted earlier. My intention is not to single out these particular religions. its a more general question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:00:26 am by Rigwyn »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:43 am »
God acts in miracles, and miracles are beyond science. ;)

More or less matching here may be that often mentioned tale (which I can't quote sources for...) about the agreement between the catholic church and scientists that science will limit itself to the universe for now, there is still enough to discover for a good while, and it leaves enough place for any supernatural powers outside of it (e.g. "before the Big Bang").

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 12, 2014, 05:39:45 am »
Gah.. I tried to find this agreement you spoke of, but this is as close as I could find for now. Interesting read.

( Wikipedia: Georges LemaƮtre )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre