Author Topic: death realm for Pvp  (Read 917 times)

Ayko

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
death realm for Pvp
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:52:08 pm »
If there were ever to be an area that is open for all to PK, I think the death realm is an ideal candidate for the following reasons:

- PK in death realm causes less 'grieve'. Since you're in Death realm whatever you were doing has already been disrupted, you were already going to face dakkru's curse. The only additional grief of a PK is that it 'll take you a little longer to exit the death realm.

- The atmosphere lends itself to it perfectly, in fact the PK would add to the atmosfere of a world you'd want to avoid

- It's a place most people have to go trough sooner or later, even if they don't like PvP. Whereas if you implement pvp in an isolated map, it'll probably end up being a desolate place (making the implementation more or less useless).

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
Re: death realm for Pvp
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:40 pm »
There are PvP areas in-game now. Look around and meet your fate! ;D

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:45 pm »
Pvp in the Arena of True Death....  Am sure that could get interesting...
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:31 am »
- It's a place most people have to go trough sooner or later, even if they don't like PvP. Whereas if you implement pvp in an isolated map, it'll probably end up being a desolate place (making the implementation more or less useless).

What does that say about PVP? o.O

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:16:31 am »

eheh a new DR area like that was under development some times ago, unfortunately it's not yet completed :(

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:03 am »
Back in 2007 and earlier, DR Fight Club as it was called, would usually be going strong on weekends, and some weeknights. I remember 8-12 players usually on active nights. It wasn't an official sort of thing. This was prior to combat changes that changed dueling. But it was considered OOC and many on the RP side of things did not appreciate it. It was fun though, for everyone involved. What Eonwid said is interesting, thanks, Eonwid.

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:00:54 am »
If there were ever to be an area that is open for all to PK, I think the death realm is an ideal candidate for the following reasons:

- PK in death realm causes less 'grieve'.
On the contrary. If the DR was PvP by default a strong player could use the linear structure of the path to prevent a whole lot of players from effectively returning from the DR with ease. This can be done by camping in certain places and killing approaching passers-by with ranged attacks. Thus it would be the ideal place for griefing and blocking if PvP was allowed, because you have to follow the path and there is no area allowing for circumventing a strong ranged aggressor.

Ayko

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:30 am »
Hi Rigwyn,

What does that say about PVP? o.O
There will always be people for and against it. What I meant to bring to this tread was not to debate whether or not it should be implemented at all. That would probably be an endless debate anyway. But rather "if" it were to be implemented, how one can look for a sort of compromise that would allow PvP fans to enjoy PvP (i.e. not by creating an isolated 'pocket game inside a world for pvp), while at the same time cause the least grieve for those who really don't want PvP.

Hi Daevaorn
Yeah you're absolutely right about the camping, But I thought death realm was going to expand greatly still? But as it is now I agree it wouldn't be ideal.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:08:36 am by Ayko »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »
There are different forms of PvP.  Isolating it to areas of the map doesn't make them desolate:  a lack of enjoyable PvP play is what deters people from bothering to visit those areas.

Having players that act as bandits or haunt highways isn't necessarily Griefing.  I really don't want to discuss that right now, psychology and RPG design and whatnot, but I do agree that the DR needs to be evaluated for such kinds of character presence.

What do some of the Citadel Library books reveal about those which choose to dwell in the DR?  If you suppose that pathological tormentors could take up residence there, which is a possibility, and that other persons nevertheless manage to escape it, which also seems to be so, then obviously there is something about the DR which keeps stronger ones from settling in a niche that allows them easy prey.

Maybe later I'll share my insights, but I really don't believe that anyone developing PS would care.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:57:58 am »
Sounds terrible  X-/