Author Topic: This is the end... of PS Legacy  (Read 846 times)

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
This is the end... of PS Legacy
« on: April 28, 2023, 01:43:29 pm »
Greetings to all!

Talad announced on Discord that PlaneShift Legacy will be stopped. This is the full text:

Hello @everyone, PlaneShift Legacy server is going down at the end of this weekend after being up for more than 20 years, with very few interruptions. 550.000+ accounts created, hundreds of thousands of characters built, hundreds of events, tournaments, weddings, merchant days, adventures and roleplay.
Thanks to all who contributed to its creation through all this time! Hundreds of people who added ideas and content from lore to 3d, from music to rules, in a journey through technology and discovery. A special thanks to @McJty for creating Crystal Space Engine that made PS Legacy possible!
The spirit of Legacy is still very alive and now transmigrated in PSUnreal! The journey continues as we write another chapter of history. I wish the new version long life and a happy future! Thanks to the old and new developers/contributors to make PSUnreal better and better every release.  Let's go!
In the previous announcement of "The Switch" you can see some old screenshots. If you want to take some in game, this is the last chance! https://www.planeshift.it/article/2023/PlaneShift%20Unreal%20The%20Switch

We all knew the day would come, but still Legacy will be dearly missed.
So many people (friends and not-friends), so many hours, so many events, so much RP, so many memories.
I do not know if something special is planned for the final weekend, but in any case there will be a final event run by Uadjet.

Check the PS website, Discord, and (I guess) the forums for details...

:(  :(  :(  :(  Gonger the Melancholic One  :(  :(  :(  :( 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 02:35:45 pm by gonger »

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: This is the end... of PS Legacy
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 05:32:53 am »
Yes, indeed, I will shutdown the Crystalspace based PlaneShift server this weekend.

To allow for one more last event and one more last market, I will do it either late Sunday or early Monday.

So you will have (almost) a complete weekend to record a memorial video, visit places you remember fondly of and:

Come on, let us say goodbye together, attend to the event, attend to one last market!

It had to be done at some time. Also I look forward to care for just one instead of two PlaneShift servers, operating system wise.

I will miss Crystalspace based PlaneShift as well, however I also look forward to create new memories in PSUnreal. Very much so! I still hope performance of the client will increase again after it dropped by switching to Unreal 5, but I greatly enjoy the vastness of Yliakum in PSUnreal and the much better graphics. What new places are waiting for us to explore them? What new secrets are hidden in new and old dungeons? What stories are still to be told? Possibilities are endless!

PSUnreal is not free of bugs and not free of new bugs that weren't in Crystalspace based PS. However it has gone a long way and I really enjoy the events of our GM Uadjet there.

Thank you very much to Talad and all of the other developers and testers of PlaneShift Unreal. It is an almost insanely immense effort that went into PSUnreal, especially from Talad!

I do look forward to also see all of those players who do not yet have the hardware to play PSUnreal. Come on, get yourself some new or new used gear and be sure that we, who already play on PSUnreal, will welcome you again! And if someone really cannot afford a new machine, I am sure we can find a solution.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:39:43 am by Damola »
Love,
Damola

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 04:33:49 am »
It is done. The old server is gone and the new one is running at the IP address of the old one.

Please use PSUnreal 0.7.35 or later as it contains the right server list. The new client can be downloaded already from https://www.planeshift.it/Download

So it is indeed time to see goodbye to Crystalspace based PlaneShift.

However it will live on in our memories. All the adventures all the stories!

But what new places are there for us to explore in the much more vast Yliakum in Unreal based PlaneShift? What new stories are to be told? The possibilities are endless!

I hope to see you in PSUnreal. And to those players who cannot play it on their current hardware: Go get some new(er) gear! In case you cannot afford it, I am sure there would be a way for us as a community to support you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 05:39:53 am by Damola »
Love,
Damola

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 04:46:47 am »
Please allow for some time for Talad to make user accessible web stuff like MyPlane accessible again. There is already a new subdomain for that and it also has valid TLS certificate, however the PHP scripts need to be adapted to new PHP version and to PSUnreal of course.

The old planeshift.teamix.org is gone for good.

Tech savvy people can find out the new domain already but I will skip announcing it here. Talad can announce it once there is something available for you to see :)
Love,
Damola