Author Topic: Collision Dectection, Dynamic Shadows, Bumpmapping  (Read 1233 times)

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Collision Dectection, Dynamic Shadows, Bumpmapping
« on: July 21, 2003, 08:30:36 pm »
One thing I want to see in PS is collison Dectection this would allow for raindrops to splash when they hit the ground and when you having a converstation with somone, no one decides he wants to talk to the NPC as well and seeing your in the way having your conversatino walks straight through instead of just walking around to the other side

I know this would lead to stupid people standing in door ways and not letting people in places but this could be easily fixed by having a push command where the offending player would be pushed over and you can just walk straight over him

The other thing I would like to see is Dynamic Shadows and Bumpmapping I not sure if its out yet but the new Crystal Space renderer supports this and it looks damn nice and it would make PS be on par with the very latest of next generation games

some screenshots from the crystal Space website
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 08:33:32 pm by kyp14 »

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 09:05:59 pm »
hey awesome! can we put bumps on our character\'s head?

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:08:07 pm »
This is certainly in the plan, hopefully for CB but definitely for the release after.

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 09:14:43 pm »
ok so I\'m starting to get this now - the game\'s engine is being develloped by another open source community and our PS devs are incorporating what they create into their game model while they work on PS - or are they participating both ways?

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 09:17:45 pm »
Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!

You\'re our lucky winner!

This is exactly how it works.  Sometimes the PS devs work on CS directly, but we try to avoid it.

- Venge

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 09:25:07 pm »
hehe, why try to avoid it? not as fun as PS?

From the look of the CS screenshots gallery they seem rather excited at the prospects for Planeshift

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 10:24:06 pm »
wow PS is really going to be one sexy beast :D  and I heard one player say when I was online

This games graphics suck they\'llnever sell this game

what a foolish man or boy or woman girl or whoever it is.

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 10:52:38 pm »
hehe, we better never SELL this game

newbs... gotta love \'em

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 05:31:39 am »
aye, true where would a MMORPG without overly stupid newbs it just wouldn\'t be right with out them :D

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 09:05:56 pm »
what would the Links of the world do?  Have you ever thought about this - could Link survive without Noobs to laugh at?  to what extent does Link NEED the newbies to keep himself going?

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 03:10:52 pm »
Yes and of course when you implement all of this it will be able to be toggled in the graphic options.  He he he, I fear graphics too good, coz\' I know I won\'t be able to handle them <).  

Of course as soon as I have a good video card I\'m sure I\'ll be all for Fresnel Pixel-Shaded Reflective Dynamic Water Systems and such in the game.  And yes, I have no idea if what I just said makes any sense; probably not.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 05:54:25 am »
what would the Links of the world do? Have you ever thought about this - could Link survive without Noobs to laugh at? to what extent does Link NEED the newbies to keep himself going?

who knows who knows  its one of those questions you can\'t answer
I\'ll be all for Fresnel Pixel-Shaded Reflective Dynamic Water Systems and such in the game. And yes, I have no idea if what I just said makes any sense; probably not.

well it sounds damn technical so i\'m all for it

Havena

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2003, 11:13:19 am »
Collision detection will need to be applied in some places but not others.

For raindrops to strike players/surfaces - sure.

Player to player collision detection is big nono for MMORPGs though. Try \"/push\"ing your way through 40 people standing around in an alleyway trying to auction-off rubbishy items to each other.

Being pushed flat on your face would become a frequent phenomenon as you stop for a moment in a door or hall. People would have to do it because stopping and saying \"excuse me kind kran, please step aside\" would just get plain inefficient  :D
\"At your service.\"

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2003, 11:32:57 am »
no I *humbly* disagree -we need collision detection for players.  I dont like walking through other characters.  And walking through monsters during battles is just as annoying.

Niber

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2003, 04:40:01 pm »
Hey Kyp!
Crystal Space doesn\'t support Bump-mapping yet, That screen is from NR (New renderer) and will be out next year.

MB uses OR (Old renderer) yet but hopefully NR to CB. Aldo I doubt the timeline will hold since NR comes out when CB is planed for relese and it will take time to change renderer (well not exactly change but it will be a big step).
Put the pot down, no dont take another puff!, put it down. Thank you.