Author Topic: How to make money?  (Read 6274 times)

Harold Shea

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
How to make money?
« on: March 24, 2005, 09:36:26 am »
Hi,
I have just started playing Planeshift. I am very impressed by the game engine, particularly graphics and sound. However, I start the game with no money or resources and I would like to know how best to acquire money early on to buy weapons, training, etc. Can anyone help out?

Karistina

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:48:22 am »
Look for some quests... Although you may just want to find the sewers and start killing some rats. You can loot their hides and eyes to sell. Then you\'ll be able to afford the training, weapons, and tools you\'ll need to go further!  For more specific help, there are generally some helpful people in-game.  You can always join a guild and use GuildChat to look for help in-game.  I\'m working on building a knowledge base for my guild members.  :D

IllicitDP

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 03:38:55 pm »
Plus, you can look on the player guide on the planeshift web page.  Its sorta helpful for the beginning newbie.

rosmerelmer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:50:24 pm »
well, its not. it doest say anything about that and the npc chat thing is rubbish. i like the engine and graphic etc. but the only quest that works is harmquist and i cant start it, all the other npcs wont give me quests.
btw, im getting ass whooped by rats

if you have really cool photoshop tutorials don\'t be afraid to pm me!

MaidenIndigo

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • 藍子
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 05:09:39 pm »
Change to a defensive fighting stance.  It should decrease the amount of damage dealt, but also decreases the amount of damage you give as well.

That\'s what I do, anyway, and I\'m still a lowly newbie.

~Indi

Karistina

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:10:43 pm »
Originally posted by rosmerelmer
well, its not. it doest say anything about that and the npc chat thing is rubbish. i like the engine and graphic etc. but the only quest that works is harmquist and i cant start it, all the other npcs wont give me quests.
btw, im getting ass whooped by rats

You must not be asking properly.  There is one other quest that is fairly easy to complete, just a bit of running.  And another quest you can pick up while completing the first one I mentioned, but it\'s not as easy to complete.  And there are probably others I don\'t know about.

rosmerelmer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 02:30:04 am »
there prolly will be but all people are saying that is nicer to find out yourself, well sometimes not. i wandered around for 3 hours not knowing what to do. there is a bug with harnquist and all the other wont give me quests.. btw, are there more places than ojeva magic shop and that castle?

Harold Shea

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 06:36:59 am »
Yes, I don\'t feel the quest system on offer is very satisfactory. Even when I am given quests it does not seem too clear how to complete them. I am wondering around aimlessly for hours scratching my head. It seems to me there should be clearer aims and objectives, especially for newbies who don\'t have money, weapons,etc. I have never played any other MMORPG so i don\'t know how this compares but it seems quite difficult to get going.

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
The quest system...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 08:00:49 am »
yes, is slightly limited, but then again, it\'s an alpha tech demo, so  you can\'t expect much. The devs (I would assume) will add many more when they see how the six (I have found) play out with gaming...Remember we are here to test this game to help the devs come up with a final product that is excellent.

Harold Shea; if you are having trouble, strike up a conversation with someone in the tavern, make friends, then ask for help kindly and quietly... nobody will help if you if you complain. Also, I think the unclarity for newbies is part of the challenge and fun of this game...look at it from an rp perspective; you\'re a farmer\'s boy or girl who decides to off looking for adventure...well, it\'ll be damned hard the first couple of weeks as you have nothing...but you can work your way up, make connections, join a guild, and eventually be fighting ulbernauts with fire glyphs (yeah, I wish).

rosmerelmer; sorry if harnquist is bugged...but there are five other quests I know of that you can complete...ask around and explore!!! It\'s half the fun of the game and the worst that can happen is you\'ll end up in the death realm. Just don\'t fall down in the temple well.

Just my thoughts,

Xirius
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

Burntleaf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 08:09:51 am »
Originally posted by Harold Shea
I have never played any other MMORPG so i don\'t know how this compares but it seems quite difficult to get going.

Runescape is a decent mmorpg and it gives you many ways to make money etc. However, i have found out that many people get bored of rs much quicker than this and some other mmorpg. I believe a good challenge makes a good game.

Just expressing my feelings...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:10:44 am by Burntleaf »
Charly said always tell your mummy before you\'re going somewhere- Charly- The Prodigy

rosmerelmer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:19:49 am »
i was member for two months of rs, and indeed it gets boring. thats why i play planeshift now! i found i believe 4 quests(1 was hernquist) but they wont give it to me, boehoe. i know now how to make money but i also think there should be more ways to make it. killing rats isnt my greatest fantasy...

MattFoo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 12:10:13 pm »
Yeah it\'s getting a little boring just killing rats...plus you have to find a good time when they actually pop out :\\

Hopefully soon there will be more ways to make money.  I\'m not really complaining since this is just an alpha.

The only other way I\'ve seen to get money is there is a rogue in the arena that give drops every once in a while.  The problem with that is 1) It doesn\'t fight back so it seems pretty cheap/lame 2) there is this guy that is almost ALWAYS there and he keeps a group so it\'s almost impossible to get to the thing anyway.

ah well

Karistina

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 02:25:27 pm »
Originally posted by MattFoo
Yeah it\'s getting a little boring just killing rats...plus you have to find a good time when they actually pop out :\\

Hopefully soon there will be more ways to make money.  I\'m not really complaining since this is just an alpha.

The only other way I\'ve seen to get money is there is a rogue in the arena that give drops every once in a while.  The problem with that is 1) It doesn\'t fight back so it seems pretty cheap/lame 2) there is this guy that is almost ALWAYS there and he keeps a group so it\'s almost impossible to get to the thing anyway.

ah well

Why don\'t you try asking to be a part of the group sometime? Sure, you have to share  the loot.  But it\'s better than not getting any loot.

Kurgan

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:55:21 am »
You can always keep doing the temple quest over and over for ... *fanfare* 4 Trias !
Seriously though. every time ive tried hunting rats there have been spawn campers there telling me to \'go find my own rat\' , would love to, except they are all camped to hell. The rougues that dont fight back are the same. Mining would be an option but to get the money for a pick i need to kill rats ... that are always camped. Seems the only solution is to log on at unusual hours when most gamers are sleeping.

Burntleaf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 08:15:37 am »
Originally posted by Karistina
Although you may just want to find the sewers and start killing some rats. You can loot their hides and eyes to sell.

Going back to the second post, Karitina mentions looting the hides and eyes of rats. I can easily kill rats but how do i loot them?
Charly said always tell your mummy before you\'re going somewhere- Charly- The Prodigy