Author Topic: Evil RP Advice/Guide  (Read 7182 times)

Peanuts

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Evil RP Advice/Guide
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 07:36:06 pm »
If I may. . .

I think the biggest reason players should honor the "no weapons drawn in Hydlaa" rule isn't IC, it's OOC.   Namely, it's the fact that it's incredibly annoying to have every single conversation in a supposedly well-guarded place like Kada-El's be interrupted when some jerk swans in and starts a major fight!   :thumbdown:   

Small brawls where a few fists get thrown are entertaining, don't strain credibility if the guards don't immediately come to split them up, and, best of all, can often be realistically ignored by those around you who aren't interested in participating.  Major duels to the death, not so much.   A big part of being a good roleplayer is knowing better than to make every scene about you, you, you; have the courtesy to not constantly make other people choose between unrealistic behavior or abandoning a line of rp they may be enjoying a great deal.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:35 pm »

I think you are mistaking Duraza's statement. There is nothing wrong with playing a strong arrogant character. The only problem is when you start "godmodding", and I think your your definition is slightly different then ours.

From my experience in Planeshift so far, Godmodding is when you do something to somebodies character without their consent.
I think my own personal definition is closer to yours, but Duraza was referring to this:

Yeah...theres a big problem with fighting in the plaza anyways...Incase no one ever noticed there is that huge guard tower right there..There are actually a few of them in Hydlaa so ICly the guards are 'watching.'

Raa, just because theres a government doesnt mean its strong enough to stop you where you stand when you fight.

Never assume that they cannot, its godmodding. You have to remember that this world isn't controlled by players, its controlled by the NPC government. Their guards have military training that (most likely) far surpasses anything that any of our characters can achieve. You shouldn't just assume that if a guard caught you fighting that they could stop you but you should assume they could easily place you under arrest and carry out your punishment as the law would command it. Probably why there is an IC book of laws in the library. So we can OOCly know how to punish our characters for any crimes we feel they would have been caught commiting.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 08:00:24 pm »
Ah, okay, i get where you are going with this. You are quite right, i did mis-interpret your statement.

I guess the main thing that Duraza was after was not going against settings. The problem is, I don't believe the laws of Yliakum (or specific cities) have been written yet (though I could be wrong).

So until laws are written and the guard system worked out, it seems like this is always going to be a muddy issue.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »
Look for the Octarchal Decree at Jayose's Library. There are laws so... behave.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
Thanks Dajoji, i probably should go check that out...I haven't read any in-game books yet.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 11:59:30 pm »
The guards can't interfere yet so for now it's safest to pretend they can beat your behind up. They are many, well equiped and they have watchtowers with archers. (At least in Hydlaa) Avoid arguments with your 'victim' about "I can beat Jefecra together with you, he's not that tough!" .. "No, you can't! He's captain of the Guards, he'll arrest you."

Those arguments are hollow without Jefecra being able to interfere.

As for the Imperial Guard being mentioned. I wouldn't mind having the IG policing players but we've noticed that most players do mind ... so we stick to internal guild policing. The DE's laws are a direct result of the Octarchal Decree, with some personal additions. This is not to say that anyone who does want Guards included in their RP or event can't contact us. I'm always available to enhance roleplay.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 12:02:28 am »
If I may. . .

I think the biggest reason players should honor the "no weapons drawn in Hydlaa" rule isn't IC, it's OOC.   Namely, it's the fact that it's incredibly annoying to have every single conversation in a supposedly well-guarded place like Kada-El's be interrupted when some jerk swans in and starts a major fight!   :thumbdown:   

Small brawls where a few fists get thrown are entertaining, don't strain credibility if the guards don't immediately come to split them up, and, best of all, can often be realistically ignored by those around you who aren't interested in participating.  Major duels to the death, not so much.   A big part of being a good roleplayer is knowing better than to make every scene about you, you, you; have the courtesy to not constantly make other people choose between unrealistic behavior or abandoning a line of rp they may be enjoying a great deal.

90% of the times (including the ones on my alts and the times I was only there to sell things/quest/any other non-RP reasons I might have) I've walked in, the duel to the death thing was happening in Kada El's. It is rather obnoxious...I mean, I know it's where the roleplayers flock to, but there are other locations you can fight in...dodgy alleys, if you don't want to leave the city, and plenty of wilderness, if you don't mind running for a couple of minutes.

Getting back on the topic of "evil" roleplays, here's my tip: While I see the need for bad guys, I also think that if your only reason for being evil is "lol it's kewl", you should reconsider playing an evil character. Personally, I like to play the minorty and/or the neutral double-agent where applicable (haven't played that type in a while, though). However, I'd like to see more balance between the sides.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:04:27 am by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:13 am »
...by your logic, we can never claim another character to be stronger. so....no boasting. no arrogance. no taking on a fight because you assume that the other person is stronger than you and can beat you down to the ground easily. no making any trouble at all because everyone around you is strong enough to hunt you down before you can cause it.

sounds a little ridiculous to me...
I think you are mistaking Duraza's statement. There is nothing wrong with playing a strong arrogant character. The only problem is when you start "godmodding", and I think your your definition is slightly different then ours.

Beniel is right. Theirah, there isn't anything wrong with playing a character who believes themselves to be better than anyone else. I play many arrogant characters myself. You can have your character  believe that he/she is the best. It is a problem to believe you are the best OOCly, as a player. Thats where I take issue. Regardless of what special powers you roleplay to have or whether each of your stats are maxed to the fullest you should never oocly assume yourself better than another player without their consent. By doing so you assume yourself able to beat that character, the true key to godmodding.

When someone tells themself that godmodding is when you claim and act 'invincible' or 'godly' then you limit godmodding to doing only a few select things and allow yourself to godmod in ways you wouldn't notice (like what was mentioned above). Thats why the only way to not godmod is to never determine who is weaker than you. As a player (not as a character) we can only decide who is stronger than us. Once you start to decide who is weaker than you your character becomes godmoddish.

So if you want, your character can feel that the guards are weak and insignificant. However, you as a player need to keep in mind that you do not want to godmod and therefore must treat the guard as far stronger than your character. When it comes to large amounts of people fighting in the city you must take in mind that there are far more guards in the city than what we see. There are guard towers watching the citizens. Guards would probably be watching any large group of people closely before fighting would even start. You could assume that they would already have a force ready by the time it does start. You could assume the opposite, that they weren't paying attention, as well but it would be godmodding  ;)
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 04:40:44 am »
ok. I get your point about guard towers and watching large crowds.

as for godmodding, I dont believe that I myself and stronger than the guards. I believe others around me were. me...I would get beaten down in about 2 secs. would that still be considered godmodding?

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 11:00:13 pm »
as for godmodding, I dont believe that I myself and stronger than the guards. I believe others around me were. me...I would get beaten down in about 2 secs. would that still be considered godmodding?

Not to me it is. All thats basically saying is that you feel those people are stronger than you, hence you think they can take on the guards. They may not be able to (and they shouldn't as a player claim they can) but thats just your characters beliefs so it doesn't matter.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 12:05:54 am »
lol speack for yourself duraza im sure i could handle a few guards if they werent impervious :P
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 12:40:19 am »
Well since we can all in-characterly chug as many healing and mana potions as we can carry in no time at all, I think it's reasonable to assume we could kill anything we wanted to.  Obviously.
[/bad joke]

As for being evil... Pure evil is no fun.  I don't even think it's realistic.  Nobody is just plain evil, at least not in their own mind and by their own justifications.  There's gotta be a little bit more to any character than that.
Censorship FTW.