Poll

Are the Dlayo Gladiators too strong?

Yes.
No.
I wish they looted snorks instead of fish.

Author Topic: Dlayo  (Read 4596 times)

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Dlayo
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:38 pm »
I'm not saying that there shouldn't be tough critters in-game. I am also not saying that they shouldn't be able to kill you, quickly even. However, I think that being able to do 2 - 3 times a maxed-out characters total number of possible hit points in a single hit is a bit over-the-top. Are you supposed to be able to get soo good that you don't get hit even once in PS?

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 11:10:18 pm »
After many events and opportunities to play a "boss" for players to defeat, I think it's better to be able to withstand a lot of damage than to inflict it in one hit. I think it would be a good move to reduce damage output so the battles can be less frustrating without losing their challenging quality.

Quq Leque

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.thewarriorsguild.nl
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 04:27:55 am »
actually I like the Dlayo, they're hard but not too hard if you 'hit and run' attack.  Discussion about damage they deal is irrelevant; 'if you get hit you die' principle then it doesnt matter what damage is done be it 800 or 8000, as long as players can do a reasonable amount of damage themselves.

I really hope magic will get disabled for that open PvP area though. yesterday i was killing Dlayo gladiators for sport then Asonoh jumps in and kills me in a matter of seconds with flying stones for no reason but me being there wich doesnt broaden my enjoyment with the game.

Edit: nearly voted for snorks though, why does every npc like fish that much?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:34:14 am by Quq Leque »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 06:45:57 pm »
Point taken on staffs.

Anumesa

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:08 pm »
I have grouped and killed the tougher dlayos a few times and it was pretty fun. I voted to leave them as they are....come on people use some strategy here!! Just because you may not be able to walk up and bop them to death doesn't mean they are necessarily unkillable. FInd some of your friends (Ohh RP!) and utilize your combined strengths and weaknesses to kick their butts ;)

Sacid

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
I like the tough guys, but I think if they dealt some less damage, so that a player could survive a few hits (2 hits, the third could be leathal already) it would be more enjoyable.

I agree with Quq on the magic aspect. People with high magic go there to kill one dlayo after another in less than a minute just to loot the good stuff from them.
Also I think having them loot what they actually carry around is more realistic. Have em drop a few coins, or one or a few pieces of their armor, or the weapon or shield they actually carry :)

Oh and if possible, make em not give up stance when they move. It seems like they stop, stance, slash, stop attack and move again. Would be more of a challenge if they slashed while moving :)

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 11:41:16 am »
Point received on staffs :D they are now buyable \o/

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 12:47:35 pm »
Yes! Mah wizard can finally has a staff to whack people on the shins with!
And it just looks cool on a wizard ;)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 12:52:50 pm »
yes and you all owe me to smack the next person who says the devs don't listen in the head.

Adder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
I vote for body development
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 03:39:12 pm »
How about making body development working so that you could just learn to withstand a dlayo?

It might be trainable like armour is .. but without the bug of being trainable by waiting for a rat to bite 1000 times .. Only expected damage of let's say 33% of your hp should count.

I didn't vote the only time I fought a dlayo was with my back towards him while talking to Gregori.

It is getting really dangerous to talk to him - today another dlayo was there and killed an unsuspecting victim.

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:20 pm »
aww now i don't feel speshol with my staff with everyone one going to run around with them  :o

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 07:22:12 pm »
You can talk to zan and kaerli about that Tanner.

Prolix

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »
It seems entirely appropriate to me that some new items start out rare when they first get implemented and after a while become more generally available. There are always new things that can be added for special rewards but it seems likely that the truly rare forever type items will not become apparent until the game is more or less finished. Six months of real time seems a good honeymoon, most marriages don't get that long. Perhaps the next rare item will come from the blades near Ojaveda whatever they are called, it escapes me at the moment. Still I think that the loot tables should be altered when the mobs are defenseless so that only ordinary stuff is dropped but I do not know if that is feasible.

kind of  :offtopic: sorry.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
It really seems from the sound of it that new material that gets released becomes rare so that the people who made it can "show it off" so to speak; make it seem like a special item because it's new, even if it's a simple wooden staff. In a roleplaying game, that's hardly the kind of attitude that should be taken. It should be about finishing the game, not making new things ridiculously hard to attain simply for the fact that they're new.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 12:26:29 am »
Heh, "should" eh? "Hardly the kind of attitude" eh?

I think you are a sensible person, so . . .

Let's just say that how and when we release the things we make to the public remains our prerogative.

We learn as we go how players respond to certain things and this thread and my relenting to some player's concerns regarding the quarter staff are examples of how we may choose to alter a given course.

Nothing is slowed by when and how we distribute the assets we make.

None of the volunteers here are extremely eager to be told how to work.