Author Topic: Adding Crime into PS  (Read 4712 times)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Crime into PS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 11:48:53 pm »
what the hell did you just say? lol

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:02 am »
what the hell did you just say? lol
Sarras, the only one who seems to be blowing anything even to proportion much less out of it is you.
that is what he said XD
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

katu

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Settings Developer
    • View Profile
    • ghozm.org
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:33 am »
I would like to point out that all GM events have to be scripted and approved by a settings developer before it can be done. This is to ensure the consistency regarding to the overall settings and to prevent exploitation. Also it is the GM teams duty to ensure that moderation is taken care of even when events are held. Scripting and running events is a part of the job description for GMs.

Eyantar

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 06:57:07 pm »
My idea is that GMs dont do the 'guarding' they do the other things like policing all the players chats and etc.

Sarras stay on topic.

Also please play Oblivion before posting you oviously dont understand what i am meaning :P

Tirion

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:21 am »
Maybe stealing NPC'S Things could bring us big loads of money
Especially for crime makers and trouble makers
Quote from: bloodedIrishman
Have some hope for the human race. We might be misery incarnate but with a little goodwill and some understanding we tend to shine now and again.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 07:37:58 pm »
mabey possible to steal from an npc, [not until they can actually turn on SIGHT (sight, not when you are just near)] and if they see you steal they can yell for guards [in main obviously, it wouldnt be effective in npc chat XD] and possibly attack you, them only being attackable if they attack you first, so as to not just keep killing an npc when other people are questing
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy

Abuse?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »
Also please play Oblivion before posting you oviously dont understand what i am meaning :P

wow, i read this a couple months ago and thought you were otr explaining that he was quoting some strange oblivion dialogue, so i dismissed it  ;D

anyway, i have played oblivion

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:02 pm »
I would like to point out that all GM events have to be scripted and approved by a settings developer before it can be done. This is to ensure the consistency regarding to the overall settings and to prevent exploitation. Also it is the GM teams duty to ensure that moderation is taken care of even when events are held. Scripting and running events is a part of the job description for GMs.
So that's why people complain about sluggishness here.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 11:50:41 pm »

wow, i read this a couple months ago and thought you were otr explaining that he was quoting some strange oblivion dialogue, so i dismissed it  ;D

anyway, i have played oblivion
and i've played marrowind, which is the game that came right before oblivion, they both use the exact same guard system btw :P

Abuse?

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:51 pm »
This is a good idea, if well applied.

Players should be able (in a far away future) to rob NPCs. It could play a part in faction thingy too. The guard deal doesn't seem hard to program to me. Just give the action a percentage of being caught (i.e. a guard magically appears at your side and you simply consider he was on patrol) and your char gets thrown in the jail for a time. I'd make the loot usually very low and rarely huge: crime doesn't pay.

Pick-pocket on players would also be nice. With percentage for guard magically appearing too. No robbing items, just taking tria. That'd be fun.

If GM's don't want to bother with playing guard, make a script that throws people in jail when they initiate duels that end in a death. Give it a 10% chance for escape, if you have to  or a variable percentage depending on the place (alley, tavern, plaza, etc.)
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 01:01:05 am »
This is a good idea, if well applied.

Just give the action a percentage of being caught (i.e. a guard magically appears at your side and you simply consider he was on patrol) and your char gets thrown in the jail for a time.
Thats retarted, if they are going to implement a guard system, they'd at least take the time to make ti to where the guards actually DO go on potrol, and have a sight system, they have to SEE you do it, thats the only way it could be realistic
If they had it set to what you wanted, it definitly wouldnt balance things out, it would just keep criminals outta town

Abuse?

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:02 am »
shame on you, we must have crime everywhere *wink wink* :P

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 07:57:36 am »
Thats retarted, if they are going to implement a guard system, they'd at least take the time to make ti to where the guards actually DO go on potrol, and have a sight system, they have to SEE you do it, thats the only way it could be realistic
If they had it set to what you wanted, it definitly wouldnt balance things out, it would just keep criminals outta town

My, aren't you a rude boy.

I think your proposition is harder to apply than mine and the only difference is seeing the models moving around. The type of realism you are expecting doesn't exist in PS: most NPCs stay at their place 24/7.
It would certainly balance things if what I proposed was implemented. There is _always_ the chance of being caught when you're doing a crime. A guard might have heard a noise, a neighbour might have informed a guard, the guard might have went the wrong way and suddenly found you. Probability accounts for that.
It wouldn't keep criminals out of town. It would just add an outcome to their actions.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »
I have no qualms really, but criminals better be ready to bear consequences. An often nasty, brutish, short and often solitary life in the face of a powerful sovereign Octarchal administration.
consequences   i understand, but come on now, magical staffs letting guards freaze sombody from anywhere they want to catch em and throw em in jail
thats seriously just sounding like godmodding to me
its not fair and is the reason crime doesnt even hardly exist...
the devs keep saying they want people to be a variety of things, cook, theif, hero, whatever..but how can they support theft, if they just let gm's godmod their way to locking up criminals...

what crime needs is a jailbreak system. bribing/ drugging guards.   sneaking your friend a lockpick     to an all out assault on the complex.

i used to run a server in a RPG called never winter nights. i hade a simple jail system that would teleport a player into a cell. but i added safeguards to prevent my fellow admins from abusing it.

each cell had a different lock pick level and there was always a pick hidden in each cell. the level of lockpicking on the door differed so you could send people to more difficult cells based on the severity of the crime. each door had a failsafe script that allowed a tenacious escapee to break out regardless of lock pick level of course the harder the difficulty the more time you had to spend. the hardest cell i had had a failsafe of 1000 attempts which  although you could get out of it it would take about 20 minutes of constant attempts.
there were npc guards out side the cells that were programmed to change their level bassed on the cell they were put in and the level of the player so that there was always a chance to defeat the guards and escape.

but at the very least the guards jail ability should be a touch spell and require the guard to actually catch the criminal. as well as guards should be required on threat of banning to accept any duel challange from the criminal if he so chooses to fight.

but to be honest you could just scrap the jail all together and go for the death penalty being executed for a crime would trap you in the death realm for a period of time preventing you from simply respawning
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:57:08 pm by mikeloeven »

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 04:51:19 pm »
Right now we don't even have a real jail with real cells. WE just have a guild house with some make shift cells that in some cases the players can easily get out of the cell on their own. Right now the instructions to the GM team is guards are not bribable or corrupt. These things are reserved for special events that have been approved.

TThe better played criminals all seem to take their jail time in stride with little to no complaints. Then there ar ethe others who whine and complain about being jailed the whole time they are in jail.

And note I have never seen a guard freeze or teleport to jail a criminal then were not close to. All the people getting sent to jail were within a reasonable distance to the guard. People do need to remember that the NPC guards should be treated the same as a GM run guard. The NPC guards shouldn't not be treated as statues that can't see or react to what they see going on around them.