Author Topic: PVP outside of cities  (Read 2827 times)

Swartt

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PVP outside of cities
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:55:49 am »
I'm pretty new at the game so I'm not sure if you can already do this or not but you should be able to do PVP on the roads leading to different locations without having to request a duel, it could promote a lot of different things like highway men, people actually hiring other people as "body guards" and such you could do RP's to where it's like a band of mercenaries trying to ambush a rich merchant, the RP'ing opportunities with it are just absolutely endless.

bloodedIrishman

Re: PVP outside of cities
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:46:22 am »
From the dev perspective, there'd be more whining than the update would be worth. While I would enjoy having no-request-required PvP in certain areas, I can see it has baggage.

In any case I think this topic has been discussed many times on the forum.

Swartt

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:52:36 am »
if it has once again sorry, but I do really like the idea of it, if your on a quest or just wish to not be bugged there could be an option to make it duel request only for those that are trying to get somewhere exc.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:13:33 am »
Hi, there.

You can put your client on "auto accept challenge", which will do more or less what you asked for.  :)
To access the ingame options, press "o", then go to "pvp" -> "confirmation".

Best,
Minks

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:07:08 am »
this has been brought up before, last time i heard it, they thought the idea best fit for the ezpc server, and not so much acceptable for the Rp server, there are several PVP zones in various places though, and you can try and fiddle with the bugs ;)
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
Roleplay the fights, don't spam duel.

-sig by sarras

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:30:33 am »
Yeah Swartt, your objective could still be achieved using RP; yet you should keep in mind that there are different styles of RP on the RP server at the moment when it comes to combat. You may be interested to check out a thread created by me to discuss just that via:

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=37719.msg430529#msg430529

Regardless of which style is excepted by those who are stopped; it is my feeling that very few would simply ignore you and continue on their way without acknowledgement that a robbery is being attempted. Just try some tells to then using the square brackets to set things up. You may want to tell them in OOC that you would prefer to play it out PvP. You can also place your desired mode of combat in your OOC tab of your character's description. Mine explains that in the very least 1d6 dice rolls will be required. (And yes my character would gladly except your terms of a PvP; and she has before on the road east from Hydlaa.).  ;)

- Nova

Vieg

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:44 pm »
I agree PvP open fully in the wilderness just to get more different types of RP going. I think that maybe having another PvP option in which the player can choose to allow PvP in the wilderness or in the city or whatever.

Sluuph

• Traveller
  • Merry Met and Blessed Be!
    • View Profile
    • Daughters of Xiosia
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:50 am »
Mine explains that in the very least 1d6 dice rolls will be required.

One experience I have had that troubles me is that some people will join an on-going RP and demand that the method of RP combat change -- in the middle of a fight -- to suit their particular styles, regardless of what the previous players had agreed to.
Sluuph is "a daughter of DoX not quite becoming of a DoX daughter" --Zytorr

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
Mine explains that in the very least 1d6 dice rolls will be required.

One experience I have had that troubles me is that some people will join an on-going RP and demand that the method of RP combat change -- in the middle of a fight -- to suit their particular styles, regardless of what the previous players had agreed to.

Depends what you mean by on-going Sluuph. My assumption is that you are referring to Venorel and Sluuph's disagreement at Ahriman's botched wedding? If that is the case then the bride, not you, invited me OOC a number of days prior. IC an invitation was left at the Keda bar for when Venorel next checked in from Oja. Venorel arrived at the location given in the invitation only to find that Sluuph and Ahriman has raced away with the wedding party because they wished to ignore the magic of Qata.

Upon finding them in the square at a certain point Venorel thrust both her longswords into Ahriman's back only to have him RP a paper cut. 1d6 rolls were then asked for ooc. That request can also be found in Venorel's ooc desc. That was rebuffed by Sluuph and ignored by Ahriman.

It seemed to me that game mechanics were the last resort so Venorel tried to challenge Sluuph finding she had that mechanic completely shut down. When asked ooc after the event Sluuph was then more than ready to except a challenge; in fact sounded like she welcomed it; claiming to be a great duelist.

Need I post the logs for all this or are we on the same page?

If you call what happened in the plaza RP then we are on different pages. It was a staged inprov storyline that had a fixed ending and anyone that got in its way was ignored or left behind. It is my feeling that it was staged by Sluuph and Ahriman to have him charged with slavery and thus perma death. Why, IC, Sluuph had waited more than a game cycle to bring it up is all too obvious.

It is my feeling as a player that the intent was to have Ahriman suffer the rath of some GMs and the community taking the flak off the real offender, Ahriman's player himself.

Sluuph's conspiracy in this made her look like a false Daughter of DoX in my eyes, brawling in the streets and defending one who had placed her into slavery and worse.

Step down off your drifter or whatever high horse your on at the moment and think about it will ya?

- Nova

[ Edit - P.S. If you don't want other players involvement and their style of RP then have such events in an out of the way quiet spot; not in the middle of the bloody Hydlaa Plaza for the love of Talad! ]

[ Edit - P.P.S. Just to make clear my involvement in this ongoing RP - Leicace (the bride to those that don't know) and Venorel are agreed childhood friends. Agreed upon the day that Leicace was created. Their past goes back beyond Venorel's actual PS creation. Ahriman is the only other character, up till now, in PS which Venorel has a real grudge. She has already killed him once and had vowed to remove his manhood before sending him to Dakkru the next time. So whose ongoing RP was it exactly that Venorel interrupted? ]

[ Edit - P.P.P.S .... or who interrupted hers for OOC reasons? ]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:27:10 am by novacadian »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »
The Developers already came to the very wise conclusion that in a roleplay game all players involved in an action should agree to what is going on. If they don't, they can choose not to participate on said action.

So with fighting it's the same. Else you could have people simply killing you on the road for no apparent reason (with no engagement warning and no actual objective) which is a lot more unpleasant than having someone ignoring your challenge. Just persist until you find a good player and you should be fine.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »
I haven't checked on Camp Banished in a while, is the PVP feature of that area no more?

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »
There is still PvP in Camp Banished. There is also another PvP area on that same map.

Eelin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »
Upon finding them in the square at a certain point Venorel thrust both her longswords into Ahriman's back only to have him RP a paper cut.

You have to remember that in an encounter with several people attacking one person, everyone involved needs to give that player the time to respond. What happens consistently is that people will just walk up to the dispute and start casting spells and thrusting swords, without even taking the time to understand what is really going on. Most of the time those actions end up making little sense because when the player being attacked responds to an action that was taken prior to theirs, it usually removes him from the situation that the latter person attacked under, as was the case with Venorel. Ven just suddenly attacked Ahriman as she walked up to the encounter, and he was in the middle of flying towards someone else, which he still responded to as a glancing cut that caused a lot of bleeding.
My point is just this: When someone is being attacked by a mob in an encounter, we all need to slow down and not just barrel into the frey with swords flying. Just give the person a chance to respond to each action, and not thirteen others while they are responding to the first. We should also make some effort to understand the situation and make our actions make sense for our characters in that particular encounter.
Qata says: Eelin, you know not of what you speek

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 02:35:18 pm »

It was completely clear what was going on in that little charade. It was to have Ahriman, the character, take the flak for the player. The goal was to have the guards arrest him for slavery and anything short of that was not going to be excepted. Why, otherwise, stage this in the Hydlaa plaza? Why have Sluuph suddenly decide to lay charges after a cycle and her having been out of his charms for months? Why have Sluuph defend him from getting his manhood cut off and sending him to Dakkru?

To have him arrested for slavery and perma killed to deflected gm and community hostility towards the player.

The quiet place that had been alluded to in my previous post would not have provided the biggest dupes to the charade.... the guards themselves.

It is simply not true about Venorel. She was brought into the action and stood in front of Leicace ready to defend her for many numbers of actions by others. After a number of actions; and with Ahriman turning his back to her; she thrust her longsword. The action was acknowledged almost immediately. We can simple post the logs if an attempt to twist what happened is the goal here. Perhaps on another thread?

- Nova