Author Topic: Catalina Mac OS 10.15 A caution and a question  (Read 2062 times)

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Catalina Mac OS 10.15 A caution and a question
« on: October 16, 2019, 04:12:56 pm »
Caution: Do not upgrade to Catalina if you want to be able to play the current version of PS.
Catalina requires 64 bit software and PS client and updater current versions are 32 bit applications.

Question: Are there any developers capable to update these or will we have to wait for the Unreal launch?

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina Mac OS 10.15 A caution and a question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 07:28:48 am »
Caution: Do not upgrade to Catalina if you want to be able to play the current version of PS.
Catalina requires 64 bit software and PS client and updater current versions are 32 bit applications.

Question: Are there any developers capable to update these or will we have to wait for the Unreal launch?

From the Discord PS Channel:

Talad Last Friday at 8:44 PM
@everyone if you have a Mac and you have some programming knowledge, let us know if you want to try to compile PlaneShift to 64bit, as Apple dropped the support of 32 bits and so our Mac client doesn't work anymore. We need someone with a Mac to recompile it.

(side note with the new Unreal version this problem will be resolved, but there is still quite some time before the Unreal version is ready for the players)

- Nova

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:03:31 am »
Talad Last Friday at 8:44 PM
@everyone if you have a Mac and you have some programming knowledge, let us know if you want to try to compile PlaneShift to 64bit, as Apple dropped the support of 32 bits and so our Mac client doesn't work anymore. We need someone with a Mac to recompile it.

- Nova
... still no news about that :( , right?

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:54:38 am »
sadly no :(

VedaVelda

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 06:54:38 pm »
Still no 64-bit option?

Wish that was stated on the downloads page. Here I was so excited to play again :(

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 06:40:08 am »
Hi, its been such a long time since I visited Planeshift, only to discover I can no longer install the game. Any news on updating the MAC version to 64bits?

Thanks,
Ithwaynn
Have loads of fun with Planeshift!

Ithwaynn

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 10:34:28 am »
MacOS is available on the Unreal Engine version of PlaneShift since few months. We will not perform any changes to the PSLegacy version anymore, so the old verison will not support MacOS 64bits.

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 10:43:31 am »
 \\o// I can finally play again on Mac after such a long time! Was starting to think it would never happen.
The UnReal engine does tax my 10 year old computer some. Makes the internal fan run the whole time but no problems yet with the game running.

I'm not a fan of the character movement having to use the mouse to look around to see where I'm going. I much preferred the movement in the old version where the scene would automatically turn toward the direction you are moving in if I am recalling that right. Has been a long time!

Now I have a new question. I've been planning to upgrade for a while now to a newer Mac with the M series processor. I believe that will run Planeshift much better but would love if someone can confirm. Has anyone run the game yet on one of these newest Mac processors?

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 07:37:22 pm »
 ???  Well, that was short lived!

I played a couple of days after the UE 4 Mac version became available. Now the update to UE 5 requires Mac OS 12 and my 2012 iMac can only go up to Mac OS 10.15.

Guess now I'll need to wait until I'm ready to make that Mac upgrade I've been considering.

Talcon

• Traveller
  • Long Live the Empire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 10:18:57 am »
Awesome. When I downloaded the game, it told me to upgrade to catalina. Also, my computer told me to delete it because it was "likely carrying malware" or something. So, am I back to waiting on PS to work with my computer again? I am a patient individual.  8)