Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
PlaneShift News and Rules / PlaneShift Unreal Release 0.7.40
« Last post by Talad on January 07, 2024, 03:50:05 pm »

Greetings PlaneShifters! A new release is ready for you to download.

This release cannot be updated through the PSLauncher, so you have to download it from our Download page.

Here is the list of changes for 0.7.40:

Many textures have been upgraded in quality. Now we use higher resolution textures, but still very reasonable in terms of hardware requirements. Upgrades include hydlaa west, hydlaa east, jayose library, kadael tavern, laanx temple, bronzedoors and ojaveda (only base sandstone).
Changed hydlaa external walls textures and main city doors with higher quality ones
Increased texture resolution of some tools
Added small gardens to main hydlaa plaza, changed the fountain gems

Expanded Levrus magic shop, there is now more space, and also some higher resolution textures

Simplified crafting. in the crafting book window, there is now the possibility to check if tools and materials are available to complete the crafting, by checking the surroundings and your inventory. After the check is successful a new "prepare" button shows up in the same window, to move all the required materials in the crafting container.

Added Gamma to the Setting window
Added /screenshot command. You can use also with "nogui" parameter to take a clean screenshot without user interface.

Improvements to Dryken plane, more hints, one more tutorial message, new reference points (planets)

Improved message when you already at max faction score
Fixed issue with chat logs
Fixed Ylian male hair when wearing robe
Fixed being able to cast identify item spell
Fixed quest crash when assigning faction points
Fixed /changeguildleader crash

Various fixes to NPC animations (arangma, kikiri, ulber)

Updated all spells sounds to fix the right channel audio issue
Fixed some bugs in board minigames
Fixed crash on invalid skill when lockpicking
Fixed non-attackable new players
Fixed crash when a new NPC event was triggered by time event

All the bugs are tracked on our Flyspray, where you can register and add your findings.
If you want to support us, become a Patreon. Find other players in our Discord to get access.
General Discussion / Re: Frustrating Start
« Last post by Seytra on January 06, 2024, 11:17:35 pm »
I don't really understand why I wasn't put in the starting town like the people in the YouTube videos.  If there is a way to skip this, please let me know and I'll start a new character.
I think the videos are of the legacy, now discontinued game. I think the current, UE Version has this "Dryken Plane" that you described instead. IMO that would have better been used as replacement for the Death Realm. I got thrown off by that, too, when I tried to return to PS last year or so, and since I don't recall the second maze you describe, I likely never got as far as you did!
P.S. Making me read through the lore to find the color of the sun just to post on the forum?
Yeah, there used to be a time when SPAM bots/slaves heavily targeted forums and the Mods could barely keep up with them, so that system has been implemented on several sites. Given the disuse forums see nowadays, these measures may or may not be necessary. XigmaNAS also still uses it, but they're a very reclusive bunch, anyway.
General Discussion / Re: Let's get ancient players back...
« Last post by Seytra on January 06, 2024, 11:03:24 pm »
Good intention, and while I think there'll be only a couple of players who might be able to return, there may be a few. The sad thing is that the forums likely are visited only by those same players, since (IIRC that has been mentioned elswehere) other media have taken over, but maybe it's the lack of publicity PS receives, as it doesn't feature on any of the gaming networks. At least, I haven't found it on GOG, Epic or Steam (very likely because you have to sell them your soul, as other very good FOSS gaming projects like UFO:AI, Babylon5:I found her, Wesnoth, etc. also don't appear there).

Anyway, I don't like the idea of giving away contact information (maybe you'll even remember my pro-privacy stance from back in the days, so no surprise there. :) ). Having the PS system send out mails to dormant accounts would be OK, the reminder may or may not be an issue, IIRC there was something about receiving occasional mails from PS on signup to the forum, but not to the game, so maybe stick to forum members, which likely will catch all "ancients" anyway (there was no discord, reddit or whatnots back then)?

I already tried to check out the new PS-U but couldn't. First, I could run it on my ancient machine, but the Char Creator GUI is fixed at 16:9, so on my 4:3 screen the elements on the right simply don't get rendered. The UE itself copes perfectly with the resolution, but if the GUI positions are fixed, there's nothing it can do about that. That's a problem I've seen primarily on UE4 titles, I read that the GUI creator doesn't help with that and you must knowingly design on the lowest resolution, but with high-DPI textures, and then the upscaling will do the trick, instead of the GUI being scaled down meaningfully, which at best breaks text legibility.

Anyway, I somehow managed to blind-fly part of the CC, came into the Dryken Plane and don't recall if I even managed to get out of there, maybe the GUI again, or the oddness of the place, or something else.

And now, I'm still on Windows7, which has been dropped by PS a while ago (any of course many others). Once I decide upon and install an alternative (be it W10, DraugerOS or whatever), I'll retry, but it seems I'd have to buy a new screen, too.
General Discussion / Let's get ancient players back...
« Last post by gonger on January 01, 2024, 08:52:57 am »
Dear all,

This has been discussed before, and we really should get going now.
Let's try to get ancient players back. We all miss friends of old we would like to see back in the game.

I propose the following steps:

• Send an official invitation mail to all existing mail addresses. I add a draft below, all reasonable comments are welcome.
  • In one or two months, send a reminder. No more afterwards, we do not want to spam people.
  • Give the Guild Leader of each guild (or some other represantant of the guild) a list of their members' addresses for a more personal invitation.
  • Give every player upon request the mail addresses of five people they would love to be back in the game. Please note: I am not sure this is a good idea, since popular ex-players might in fact be spammed. I include this anyway and hope for comments.

This is the draft of the official mail:

******************************** DRAFT_BEGIN ********************************

Dear friend,

It has been a long time since last you ventured to Yliakum, and much has changed ever since: Since end of April 2023, the Unreal Engine version of PlaneShift is running.
What started out as a migration project over the years finally became a new version with plenty of new content:
  • New locations with new NPCs and new quests
  • A dungeon filled with traps and treasure
  • Crafting improvements
  • Everything simply looks a bit nicer - except that players still want the Legacy transport pterosaurs back - they simply looked more impressive!
  • And so much more, check news for all details: https://www.planeshift.it/news

So what could be a better start of the new year then a new experience of PlaneShift?

Download it, meet old friends again, and make new friends - or enemies, for two things will never change: PlaneShift is Fully Free to Play, and RP-oriented.

See you soon!

The PlaneShift team

********************************* DRAFT_END *********************************

Please let us know what you think of this.

Travel safely,

Gonger
In-Game Roleplay Events / Events for December and Beyond
« Last post by Uadjet on December 09, 2023, 02:06:16 pm »
Hi! Just letting everyone know that there are events at the usual time every Saturday. The calendar is being obstinate, but the events will happen! Hopefully, I'll see you all there!

~Uadjet
In-Game Roleplay Events / Re: Player event: Lost in Yliakum
« Last post by gonger on December 04, 2023, 03:42:27 pm »
Hi Damola,

Uadjet is back, so just drop him a line or two...

Greetings,

Gonger
PlaneShift News and Rules / PlaneShift Unreal Release 0.7.39
« Last post by Talad on December 02, 2023, 09:42:59 am »

Well met friends! A new release is ready for you to download.

This release can be updated through the PSLauncher, but if you want, you can also downloaded it from our Download page.

Here is the list of changes for 0.7.39:

Some merchants are now faction aligned. They will give you better or worst prices when buying based on your faction alignment with them. You can see this information at the bottom of the merchant window and trading with them
Added overall discounts for factions and possibility to have certain items you can buy only if you have a certain faction reputation. The idea is to have certain high quality items sold by merchants only if they like you
Merchants can completely refuse to trade if the faction reputation is too negative

We added magical trails following the weapon swing. The trails are divided in tiers based on the rarity of the enhancement. If the weapon has more than one enchantment, the most rare one will define the trail type.

Improvements to combat:
- Added 2 more animations for melee attacks
- Added the left hand animations for melee attacks, you can now finally see the proper animation when attacking with the second hand
- Added the ability to use your shield as a defense. Put it in your left hand, then in combat mode you can right mouse click and use the shield.
- Changed all shields to be equip-able only in the left hand

Added new capabilities to prevent access to containers based on a certain condition, example a certain faction reputation. This allows for example to have a chest or a bookshelf inside a faction hall, that will be accessible only with a certain reputation score.
Fixed a bug in assigning faction points through quests

Fixed casting of offensive spells through shortcuts
Fixed bad bug of items disappearing in containers when trading exchanging over capacity
Fixed the train stat window, to show all the stats available, clicking on train will now give proper messages based on your rank or faction scores
Fixed helm position for lemur characters
Fixed the idle animation not to be played while moving
Created new GM panel to simplify setup of items for in game events
Added ambience music to Dryken Plane and added music volume reduction during dryken plane voiceovers
Changed the way icons show in the right-click context menu. Now Use is shown only when meaningful
Changed the way icons are displayed for containers. The right-click context menu doesnt show combine and use. Those are only in the container window
Removed all icons from container window when you open it from your inventory, as those are not relevant
Fixed crash on NPC exchange when not part of a tribe
Fixed crash of newly created familiar, which is then fed and crashes

All the bugs are tracked on our Flyspray, where you can register and add your findings.
If you want to support us, become a Patreon. Find other players in our Discord to get access.
In-Game Roleplay Events / Re: Player event: Lost in Yliakum
« Last post by Damola on December 02, 2023, 05:09:20 am »
Fellow adventurers!

There is quite the opportunity for a sequel to this. Yet not today. I won't be online. And it would benefit greatly from GM support. It would really be better to do the sequel once a GM is around.

But in case you like to help a young woman to find her parents, I am sure we can do a sequel to that once either Uadjet has a working PC again or another GM likes to step in.

I might post a summary of what happened in the first installment of this story at another time. So that those who did not have the opportunity to attend can learn about it.

Anyway, I suggest you just go online on Saturday at usual event time anyway. I likely will be online the next Saturday again. I am sure someone can come up with something and if not, you can still explore some area or whatever. I hope, Uadjet, you have new powerful PC soon! One that can run 10 clients at the same time or more.  ;D
In-Game Roleplay Events / Re: Player event: Daevaorn's Yliakum Quiz
« Last post by Migg on November 25, 2023, 02:45:41 pm »
Indeed this was a great impromptu event I really enjoyed, and hope to attend again! Great job Daevaorn!  \\o//
General Discussion / Re: The Observatory and the Applied Knowledge Faction
« Last post by Damola on November 25, 2023, 10:27:06 am »
Damola might ask about the purpose of the observatory. Watching the crystal might blind the watcher. Watching the stars... well from inside basically a cave not really practical. Spying on your neighbors?

So what... after all the effort that Talad put into the observatory, especially finding the one superb blue, the only and only blue that can be, the amazing blue, the awesome blue, that one blue one can only hope to find... is actually being observed with the telescope of the Observatory? It points into the sky, but we are inside a cave. Are we researching about the structure of the roof top of the cave?

I am sure there can be an amazing lore about it, but it needs some creativity to address above questions!

That new observatory is truly awesome. Now what happens once you let your imagination go wild about the lore connected to it? Also... an idea of an observatory has been in game lore before? My guess would be like so. What does existing lore tell?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10