Author Topic: A New Crafting Guide  (Read 14081 times)

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
A New Crafting Guide
« on: March 28, 2007, 10:04:24 am »
Learning Metallurgy
To smelt ores you will need the "Working with Stock" book in the "Mind" slot (in your inventory window).
The book is available (in quests) from NPCs you would expect to work with stock.
Before you can make steel, you will need to raise your metallurgy to level 5.
To raise your metallurgy level to 5, you will first need to make iron stock.

Making Iron Stock & Raising Metallurgy To Level 5
To create an iron stock, you need to smelt 10 iron ores (in the furnace) into molten iron.
Then place the 10 molten iron into the stock cast. This will produce one iron stock.
You can then smelt the iron stock back in to 10 molten iron and repeat the process to gain experience.

Making Steel Stock
To make steel you will need iron and coal in 8:2 or 9:1 ratio respectively.
Place your 9 ( or 8 ) iron and 1 (or 2) coal in the furnace, in 2 seperate slots.
Close the window, right click on the furnace, then hit the "Combine" button.
This will create molten steel which you can put in the stock cast to make steel-stock.

Making Blades & Handles from Steel Stock
To make blades you will need a smith hammer and a Book of Blades, again, with the book in the "mind" slot.
The book is available (in a quest) from Harnquist.

The amounts required to create different items from stock are as follows:
1 = Knife Handle
2 = Sword Handle
4 = Dagger Blade
6 = Short Sword Blade
8 = Long Sword Blade

Go to the forge and heat the stock until it's status changes to "Heated".
With the hammer in one hand and the heated stock in the other, go to the anvil and click 'Use".

Unless it's a handle you've made, take your "Alpha" blade to the forge and heat to "Red Hot"
Take the blade to the quench tank, where you will make it into a "Brittle Blade".
Take it back to the forge and heat the blade to a "Superheated Dull Blade".
Take it back to the quench tank, where you will then have a "Dull Blade".
With the "Dull Blade" in hand, go to the sharpening stone and hit "Use".

Combining Blade & Handle
Place the sharpened blade and the handle on the smith's table (in the slots - same as with the furnace, etc.).
Close window, right-click on table, then hit "Combine".
Your sword/dagger/etc will now be created.

Gold, Bronze, Silver
I'm not sure on some levels required but will try to find them and update this post in future.  In addition to steel, you can also make gold, silver and bronze stock.  For gold stock you need 5 gold ores per stock and a metallurgy level of 30.  For bronze stock, you use a combination of 7:3 (or 8:2) of Copper:Zinc.

I can only hope this guide isn't seen as too spoiler-ish that it gets deleted because how-to-make-steel is one of the most frequent questions I've come across in-game lately.  If there are/were/are-going-to-be books covering these subjects in-game in future, then I apologize.  If a few edits will save it... be my guest!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 10:18:08 am by drah »

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: A New Crafting Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:32:03 am »
Wouldnt it be copper and tin for bronze?

Anywho, this does seem a little spoiler-ish to me. Especially considering the vague nature of the original crafting guide, kinda think its vague for a reason.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:13:04 am »
What would you change to make it vague enough not to be too much of a spoiler?

Removing the numbers in the ratios and instead refer to them as fractions??... or... names-of-approximate-skill-levels rather than actual metallurgy-stats ??

And.. yes.. copper and tin was what i thought made bronze too, which is why i think something like this helps (though obviously for some people... helps TOO much!)

I'd like to give a more comprehensive guide than that which already exists... but obviously not to the point of screwing the learning-"fun" up for people.

But until there are books that represent these facts/stats verbosely, the only thing people can do is bug others for the information.

Maybe if I did something more like...

"Beginners can make iron stock, it's simply a case of smelting iron and placing the correct amount of molten iron into a single slot in the stock-cast.... When you advance from being a beginner, you'll be able to make steel... you'll need to mix iron ore and coal... just a couple of pieces of coal at most, probably a fifth or less than the amount of iron ore in the overall mixture... advancing considerably beyond this allows you to make gold ingots..." (etc)..

be better? :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:18:18 am by drah »

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
I think the example that you make at the bottom of your post seems more appropriate.

Really its copper and Zinc in game to make bronze? This must be a bug. Especially as an NPC refers to copper and tin at some point (or so I hear).

Maybe its best just to leave it as it is for the moment and see what the Mod squad has to say about it. Maybe even report it yourself as a display of good will ;)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 11:51:26 am »
Personally I would definitely change the layout and only give people a general idea of what to do. Try to make it like your character wrote a book about smithing?

As for the copper + zinc thing .. I agree, tin makes a lot more sense. Copper and zinc gives an inferior type of bronze (=brass), definitely not suited for crafting tools or weapons.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:25:36 pm »
@Idoru ... I can't .. I'm told that it "doesn't make sense" reporting my own posts :)

Maybe as a replacement....

Learning Metallurgy
To smelt ores you will need to have the teachings of the "Working with Stock" book in "Mind".
The book is available from those you'd expect to work with stock.
Before you can make steel, you will need to raise your smelting capabilities to what I'll call "novice" level.
To raise your metallurgy level to the "novice" level, you will first need to make iron stock.

Making Iron Stock & Raising Metallurgy To Level "Novice"
To create an iron stock, you need to smelt iron ores (in the furnace) into molten iron.
Then place a specific number of molten iron (which is what the iron ores get turned into in the furnace!!) into the stock cast. This will produce one iron stock.  You can then smelt the iron stock back in to molten iron and repeat the process to gain experience.

Making Steel Stock
To make steel you will need iron and coal, roughly 1 part coal to 4 parts iron ore. (hint: you need more than 5 parts in total to make stock with iron or steel.. do the math!!)
Place your iron and coal in the furnace [in 2 seperate slots].
[Close the window, right click on the furnace, then hit the "Combine" button.]
This will create molten steel which you can put in the stock cast to make steel-stock.

Making Blades & Handles from Steel Stock
To make blades you will need a smith hammer and a Book of Blades, again, with the teaching of the book in "mind".
The book is available (in a quest) from one of the smithies.

The amounts required to create different items from stock are 1,2,4,6 and 8... you can figure out what each amount makes for yourself!!

Go to the forge and heat the stock until it's "Heated".
With the hammer in one hand and the heated stock in the other, go to the anvil and "use" it.

Unless it's a handle you've made [from 1 or 2 stocks], take your "Alpha blade" to the forge and heat until it is "Red Hot"
Take the blade to the quench tank, where you will make it into a "Brittle Blade".
Take it back to the forge and heat the blade until it is a "Superheated Dull Blade".
Take it back to the quench tank, where you will then make it into a "Dull Blade".
With the "Dull Blade" in hand, go to the sharpening stone and "use" it.

Combining Blade & Handle
Place the sharpened blade and the handle on the smith's table [in the slots - same as with the furnace, etc.]).
[Close window, right-click on table, then hit "Combine".]
Your sword/dagger/etc will now be created.

Gold, Bronze, Silver
In addition to steel, you can also make gold, silver and bronze stock (and ingots!).  For gold stock you need a certain amount of gold ores per stock (less than required with steel/iron) and an "advanced" understanding of metallurgy ("intermediate" understanding to make gold ingots).  For bronze stock, you use a combination of 7 to 3 parts (or 4 to one part) of Copper and Tin. 

Also, at "intermediate" level you can turn Silver ores into stock. At "advanced" you can make gold stock!!! (both require the same amount of molten material!!)

Thanks to the Wandering Djinn for some advice via PMs too (re: update on copper/tin fix and the amount/level for silver, though obviously I'll keep it vague now!). :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:41:06 pm by drah »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:12:08 pm »
Talad was looking at this thread earlier, and as he made no changes nor replies, I assume that this guide gets the green flag :) Personally I too find it strange that if no other player agrees to help you figure things out in the game, it becomes a trial-and-error deal right now.

Good work, Drah!
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 05:35:44 pm »
good guide yet may i enquire why talad hasnt made any changes to this guide but got mines on spoilers for glyph combos and not this one for combos of different stock ect just a thought.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »
Allive: Because you can combine glyphs yourself without wasting glyphs. There is a Research function, after all, and it still needs to have a use in the game. If you eliminate researching, an actual feature of the game, you're taking away its need to be there.

However if you use incorrect combinations of stocks, I believe they will turn into sludge or dust or something similar - correct me if I'm wrong. So in this case experimentation would hurt you more.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bilbous

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 06:23:40 pm »
Actually incorrect ratios gets a message that you do not have the right amounts to do anything useful.
If you insist on leaving them there they may turn to dust but plenty of time to remove them.

beautiful_dreamer78

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:45:02 am »
Ok I have a question, I followed the intruction on how to make iron stock but everytime I place 10 molten iron into the stock cast it says not the right number to make anything usesful, what gives? ??? I also can't increase my skill in metallurgy because I can't cast stock. I have already got the training bar green and red so that is not the problem, so could someone place help me out?

Thanks in advance on this issue!

Nevermind I finally figured it out on my own, didn't know I have to put the book in the mind slot but thanks for your guide it does help!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:18:19 am by beautiful_dreamer78 »

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:05:25 pm »
 The very first sentence in the original post on this thread says 'to smelt ores you need to have the *working with stocks* book equipped into the *mind* slot of your inventory window. I guess you missed that,lol. :)

wolfrider

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 01:47:53 pm »
I find that making tin stock might be easier than iron stock to start training metallurgy.  While tin is a bit further from a forge than iron, it is way easier to mine.  I get one tin out of 2 digs, but I get about one iron out of 5 digs (with a mining skill of 4).  I don't know up to which level I can get practise making tin stock, but I personally prefer it.

One more thing: at level 0, the "working with stock" book does not tell you which stock you can make.  A small bug, but it says I could only melt steel and bronze ingots, cast them back into ingots and melt tin.  I never mentioned I could make iron stocks.  Since I did not know that and none of the things mentioned in the book sais "with skill", I thought I would get practise melting steel ingots and casting them back into ingots.  I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to get practise points.  As soon as I got level 1, it said I could make iron, tin and copper stock (zinc a few levels later).

Starg

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 02:39:12 pm »
Just an update:

Generally, this guide is accurate.  Some of the numbers are changed, and ingots may be used to make some of the smaller items (sword handles, for example).  You can easily find out the changes through experiementation.

Tin and copper make bronze, and zinc and copper also can make bronze.

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 10:02:18 am »
Since it's apparently okay to post required amounts of steel stocks/ingots. here an update.

Swordmaking

2 steel ingots - a sword handle
5 steel ingots - a knife blade
8 steel ingots - a dagger blade
1 steel stock - a sabre blade
2 steel stock - a sword sword blade
3 steel stock - a longsword blade
4 steel stock - a claymore blade

Note: Knife handles can currently only be bought from Trasok or Harnquist.
-----------------------------------------------
Axemaking

1 steel stock - a small battle axe blade
2 steel stock - a battle axe blade
3 steel stock - a reinforced axe blade
4 steel stock - a reinforced battle axe blade
5 and higher - Unknown, as we 'don't have the right tools' yet.

Note: The handles for axes can currently only be bought from Trasok.

A w a k e n!